Parra River

abs13

G'DAY GUYS and GIRLS

had another good bream session on monday night/ tuesday morning, once again fishing parra river we landed 21bream, 1 flathead, 1whiting.

its been a pretty good summer for bream in the parra river, nippers and poddies seem to be working a treat for me.

anyway took a few pics of the fish. enjoy.

post-12147-1262899724_thumb.jpg post-12147-1262899754_thumb.jpg

post-12147-1262899786_thumb.jpg post-12147-1262899808_thumb.jpg

can you eat the catch from the Parra river? I thought it was only good for catch & release

I've had no problems with any of my fish, i obviously dont eat them all at the same time. Eating small quantities is ok.

I've had no problems with any of my fish, i obviously dont eat them all at the same time. Eating small quantities is ok.

you won't notice the effects of dioxins for years - by which time it will be too late. Just don't feed any to your kids - especially bream! A good sized bream might have been accumulating dioxins in its body for 20 years - almost back to when they were still making agent orange at homebush bay :wacko:

the only problem with parra is the sewer outlet i read this on a page trying to get the water clarity...

Water quality in the catchment is greatly impacted by stormwater runoff. In high rainfall events, large volumes of water enters rivers and creeks, transporting sediment, litter, nutrients, toxic chemicals, herbicides, pesticides, oils and grease, animal waste and sewage. The combined effect of this runoff over time is the degradation and pollution of local waterways as well as siltation and sediment contamination in the Parramatta River

there isnt much info on the the current levels but i'd imagine that it has cleared up alot compared to 10 years ago when it was a toxic tipping ground for the the industrial estates around the area,

but non the less if its holding healthy fish go hard!!!! well done on your catch

if u want more info follow this link quite disturbing on how bad it really is.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file..._id=NB06006.pdf

Edited by mc fishn

there isnt much info on the the current levels but i'd imagine that it has cleared up alot compared to 10 years ago when it was a toxic tipping ground for the the industrial estates around the area,

http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file..._id=NB06006.pdf

I'm sure its a lot better than it was, but you've got to remember that these toxins are cumulative - they never leave the system once they are ingested, which is why you should avoid the slow growing species - a big bream could easily be 20 years old - its been accumulating dioxins in the river since the 80's!

I don't have any problem eating kingies west of the bridge but I'm not sure I'd touch anything else.

What an amazing catch! I wish i could atleast catch something in the harbour =)

This topic has been bugging me for a while, esp Chipping Norton and Parra River.

For more information

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consum...arbour-seafood/

It has a table of recommended intake for east of the bridge, anything west of the Harbour bridge should not be eaten.

I wish this would be a sticky to let raiders know what they should / should not eat.

Regards