Spining Rod And Reel Suggestions

jahajo

When i was away on holidays at Byron Bay i borrowed my uncles spinnig stick and went for a spin with metals off the rocks.

Caught a bonito and a couple of tailor!

I enjoyed this type of fishing so im looking into buying a combo.

I want the total price to be under 350 if possible.

And ive read that a 6 to 1 ratio is a must for spinning.

The rod will also have be 2 piece and around 10ft 6" because im not that tall or strong :1prop:

Also would this type of combo be suitable for a beach rod?

Thanks Harry

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Harry,

A quick word on the reel ratio... what you often want when spinning is for your lure to be moving as fast as possible to prompt a strike (but not always... Tailor & Salmon for example don't need fast retrieves).

The reel ratio is not the only thing to consider... a bigger diameter spool will also increase retrieve speed. Ideally, what you need to know is the amount of line retrieved per turn of the handle. Not many reels give this info so go for a reel with a highish ratio and a big spool. It's probably a bit on the big and heavy side for what you want but have a look at a Daiwa Sealine Bull (NOT Opus Bull).

Yes, the outfit will be suitable for beach fishing although a rod 12' plus would be better (but the 10 footer is more practical for spinning)... helps you to control the line in the waves.

Cheers, Slinky