Hawkesbury Sessions Mon 4/1 & Friday 8/1/2010

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders Not a lot to report on the jew front over the two sessions we had during the week week except for a couple of soapies that were boated... However George and Geoff landed so many general species and livies on Friday that we lost count...

My first session this week - Monday 4/1/09 afternoon night session with Davemmm :-

Anyway Davemmm and I we were a day late and a day early for our afternoon session on Monday and we only caught heaps of catfish, a couple of eels, green toads and a shovel nose shark...we didn't get any fish worth taking home unfortunately, still Dave did manage to be on the end of a couple of really big runs early from rod benders that managed to get off during the run when we were started off testing the waters by using oversize squid baits, but that's the way it can go at times, the fish can run off hard and manage to miss the hooks when using really big squid unfortunately..

Dave anchored up and we headed for the mouth area at around 1.30am to fish the run out tide, but when we reached flat rock I said to Dave that we could be in for more of the same... So it was agreed that we would pick out a better day conditions wise for our next session and go back where we left off....

I have a great time fishing with Dave and I must say Dave is the most agile and one of the most co- ordinated boatie that I've ever seen...

Thanks for all your help Dave coming up to my place and putting the boat on, it's always a pleasure and a lot of laughs to fish with you and I can't wait until we have another session with George..

Anyway raiders this is what a shovel nose shark looks like when it's caught on a jew rig, it's face was almost as sad as mine was when Dave landed it after it had giving Dave quite a few head shakes, the line having wrapped itself around its tail ...

post-829-1263106855_thumb.jpg

Second session this week - Friday 8/1/2010 near enough to a two tide session in that we had started at approx 9am and it was 8pm by the time we arrived back at Brooklyn boat ramp:-

I had the pleasure of fishing in Geoffs Webster Twin Hull Boat with Geoff and my best friend Cungee George..

Result over fifty or perhaps even sixty fish caught on the day including soapie jew, heaps of flathead, tailor, yellowtail, whiting, a flounder and many catfish and a welcome shortage of eels... Lost a helluva big fish unfortunately going on the strength of its one run in 70 feet of water on a rather large tailor presented as butterfly bait....

It was a great day in good company and we were on the water as the southerly changed to east and the easterly livened up just after the start of the run in tide and from that point on the action was fast and furious with heaps of flathead coming into the river in waves in all parts of the water column.. There were plenty of whiting in deep water but there was a shortage of big bream in the same area during the whole session for some reason or other

Here's a few photos from Friday's session

Geoff with one of his flathead

post-829-1263102919_thumb.jpg

post-829-1263102996_thumb.jpg

Geoff with one of the soapies

post-829-1263103085_thumb.jpg

Cungee George with a Hammerhead

post-829-1263103533_thumb.jpg post-829-1263103577_thumb.jpg

Friday was a very fishy day raiders and the fishing in general really picked as the southerly changed to north east as the run in tide picked up at the mouth of the river where we were fishing i.e over the sand in 40 feet of water between Walker Point and the open V shaped gap between Box head and Lion Island.

Once again a big thank you to Geoff for taking my friend George and myself out in the Webster... It's one of the best three people fishing boats that I've ever been on for a 4.6m boat.

Geoff did most of the damage to the flathead by fishing old style with light gear at various depths of the water column, as the flathead schools came in over the sand in thirty feet of water lining up 250 yards east of Walker Point with the gap in Lion Island.. Good sign for the future raiders i.e. the decent size flathead in the late summer..

Well done Geoff! Great anticipation on the depths for the flathead mate :thumbup:

Final Tally

Approx 20 flathead 2 legal

Approx 10 large yellowtail

A dozen or so tailor - including two over 30cm

6-8 small whiting incl 2 of take home size

2 soapies - released

1 flounder

A dozen catfish

2 Eels

1 small hammerhead

2 shovel nose

I huge bust up where the fish was so strong that it turned the stern marginally on 80lb line after being solidly hooked up on relatively tight drag

At the end of the session I dined Greek style at Georges place with George and his good hearted wife Karen and we ended up talking so long that I finally arrived home in Campbelltown at day break...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

great read byron.alot of fish boated.shame the big beasty wasnt boated though. :thumbdown: now that your back is better & your able to get out on the water again,your certainly getting out there alot harassing the fish population.making up for lost fishing time i see. :biggrin2:

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup: