Larger Daiwa Spinning Reels

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders.

My friend Cungee George has an opportunity to pick up a large Daiwa spinning reel for each of us.. They are a superceded model and George can get them for about $150.00 each so I assume they would have retailed for just over $200 each..

I was always led to believe that Daiwas are better reels in the mid priced smaller size range than Shimano and that Shimano make better larger size reels in the mid price range than Daiwa...

I suppose this discussion may have been brought up before, nevertheless I need to replace an American model Tica reel which has a line rating of 300 yards of 25lbs mono and this particular Tica handled fish such as decent size sharks quite well using 80lb braid..

I already have 750, 850 and 950 Penn SS reels and also big Shakespeare Centrons and George and I are now looking at these Daiwa reels or something else in a larger spinning reel that are heavy duty and would be suitable for long time use such as the old charter specials for instance...

Any help on this subject would be appreciated but the reels would need to be around the $200 mark and in our case we just want to vary the brands of spinning reels that we own and stock up with more of the same for the ready rigged up spare rods that would be kept in the boat..

Thanks in advance Raiders, George and I are not really into modern reels as such but I think some of you may know what we are looking for in the reels that we would buy...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

if you can bump up your budget by $100 you may be able to get a daiwa saltist 4500

Thanks anyway Scotty it's just that I feel the need for more of a work horse for the 10-50lb Tiger rods, say that is equivalent in line rating to say the Penn 750's and 850's along with the Shimano 6500's that George and I already have..

Anyway George is going to take a look at therse superceded Daiwas tomorrow and in the meantime he asked me to get some opinions from our members regarding alternative reels that are around the line ratings of the Penns...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

G'day Byron. I can only talk from my experience.

I love my Daiwa sol 2000 so I thought I'd try a couple of other Daiwas out. I had trouble with an exceler 4000. It was grinding alot after not very much use. I have a capricorn 4500 that now has a shot main bearing, again after not that many fish or much hard use. A mate on our Weipa trip had a certate that was sounding like a coffee grinder as well.

Never had these problems with a stradic or a spinfisher. No more mid range Daiwas for me. :(

Cheers,

Grant.