Electrics On Bertram

davegroves68

Hi all.

Got a Bertram 25 with a 350 chev which we repowered a year ago. Its been running fine but we have had some issues with wiring,(got stranded on saturday), as in lose connections and no more room on distribution board.

We really don't want the expense of slipping it and were wondering if any Raiders could point us in the direction of an electrician who can work on a boat while its on its mooring?

The boat is at Taylors Point on Pittwater and is staying put until i find a sparky that i can afford.

Any help appreciated.

I think PMs are the go for this one

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Could you expand on your comment,

"we have had some issues with wiring,(got stranded on saturday), as in lose connections and no more room on distribution board."

Are you saying the motor is cutting out or it won't start.

If the latter , is the motor cranking over or , is it something else.

Whilst it may be a loose connection perhaps you could explain how this interfaces with the space on the distribution board.

Geoff

Dave Could you expand on your comment,

"we have had some issues with wiring,(got stranded on saturday), as in lose connections and no more room on distribution board."

Are you saying the motor is cutting out or it won't start.

If the latter , is the motor cranking over or , is it something else.

Whilst it may be a loose connection perhaps you could explain how this interfaces with the space on the distribution board.

Geoff

Geoff,

the motor is running sweet as, its only a year old. But i think we need to give the whole wiring a facelift as its 30 years old. The starter just clicked a few times then nothing. we then had no power at all, not even the fuel pump making its usual drone, or to the stereo, fishfinder etc. We managed to get it started by connecting a battery booster pack to the starter motor and bingo. Got the boat back to the mooring and that was that. I think the general problem is corroded connections and too many temporary joins done over the years.

The issue with the distribution board is not tied in with this, we just need more space ,(fishfinder, gps, stereo, bilge,and other stuff) we plan to add on.

Dave

Edited by Welsh Dave

Geoff,

the motor is running sweet as, its only a year old. But i think we need to give the whole wiring a facelift as its 30 years old. The starter just clicked a few times then nothing. we then had no power at all, not even the fuel pump making its usual drone, or to the stereo, fishfinder etc. We managed to get it started by connecting a battery booster pack to the starter motor and bingo. Got the boat back to the mooring and that was that. I think the general problem is corroded connections and too many temporary joins done over the years.

The issue with the distribution board is not tied in with this, we just need more space ,(fishfinder, gps, stereo, bilge,and other stuff) we plan to add on.

Dave

Dave Yes I think your correct about the corroded connections , it may be better to start from scratch rather than to do a number of band aid jobs. This will take some time , may be a full day for someone who knows his way around.

It may include a new switch pannel however items like depth sounders , gps , radios / stereos etc should not go via the switch pannel as they have their own on /off switches.

The switch pannel should only inc lights , pumps etc so a 6 switch pannel normally covers these requirements.

Having the boat on the water could make this an expensive exersize & , as you mentioned slipage fees are not cheap. Have you considered hiring a trailer so the boat could be taken to an electrican for the work

Geoff