Bradley's Head Lb 10-01-10

paulthetaffy

I had every intention of fishing Balmoral but it was already pretty busy when I got there at 5:30am so decided to give it a miss. I really can't wait for Clifton Gardens to open again so that the pressure is relieved on Balmoral - last Saturday I went down there at lunchtime and counted 36 rods in the water - 36!! I think that place can take maybe 10 max before things get tricky!

Anyway back to the fishing! It was a beautiful sunny and calm morning so decided to check out Bradley's Head in the hope of spotting some Salmon and Tailor bust-ups and getting a lure to them. The water was flat calm and sure enough the bust-up's were easy enough to spot. Unfortunately for me they all seemed to be just a little out of casting range.

I noticed quite a lot of baitfish in close - unusual for here really - so went after a few to use as livebait. Turns out most of them were small tailor, but managed to get pick a few slimies and yakkas out of the mix to use. There was a feirce current kicking through so I had a to use a heavy sinker rig with them - far from ideal - but pinning them through the nose seemed to keep them alive for a good period.

First livie out got smacked after 10 minutes peeling line off very quickly. Flicked the baitrunner switch and struck but the hooks didn't set :( Just as I was reeling in we saw a horse of a king come through the school of baby tailor at our feet, in no more than 6 ft of water! It was easily over a metre and certainly the biggest king I've seen up close like that!

Second livebait went out with the baitrunner on and I went back to casting lures. There were plenty of bust-up's happening and 5-6 boats had now surrounded them and were drifting from the zoo down to the head. From the looks of what they were catching they were tailor. Still none in close enough for me though :(

I glanced at the livebait rod just as it got a good thump but no line taken so immediately called it for a flathead. So I lifted the rod and felt the weight there and struck into it. A nice fella that went 50cm - yum dinner!

By this time the wind had got up and was starting to make things difficult but I had one livie left so thought I'd give it a quick cast. This one took about a minute to get hit in typical flathead fashion - one big thump as they engulf it and then slowly moving off. Struck into it and brought it to my feet only for it to throw the hook before I could lift it :( This one was smaller and since I had the other in the bag I wasn't too bothered at losing it.

The sourtherly was now gusting good and proper so decided to call it a day and went home for breakfast! Not a bad few hours really!

Tried a new recipe for the flathead if anyone's interested - lemon pepper marinade. Half a lemon zest, half a lemon juice, few tbs of olive oil, salt, and a good 12-15 turns of black pepper. Marinate for an hour or two in the fridge and then pan fry the fillets for 2-3 minutes depending on thickness until they're cooked 2/3rds through. Then put the pan under a hot grill to finish the top of the fillets until they're just cooked. Enjoy!

Paul