Evinrude 90hp Ficht Ram Injection, 2000 Model

Red

G'day Raiders, i'm considering purchasing a boat with a 2000 model Evinrude 90Hp FICHT engine. Looking for suggestions/opinions on this engine if possible. The boat appears to be in excellent condition however the well publicised FICHT issues are a concern. Did the V4's also experience the issues that brought OMC to its knees?

Regards

Red

Red

Despite having a bad rep I believe it was only the 150hp and above motors that were the problem motors. Sadly this tainted the whole brand. The 90 was guilty by association and by all accounts was a good motor and if you look on the US sites the vast majority of Ficht owners actually loved them..even the problem models.

I'm sure Huey can add something but I wouldn't let it stop you from buying the boat if everything else fits for you.

Cheers

C.

Hi, as I mentioned to Red, the V4 looked after were and still are rock solid. Only the 1996-1997 2.6L V6 were the problem childs and that was mainly down to the oil that was aviable then. In hindsight OMC should of held off a few years and sorted the oil and soot problems out first. That said this was only a problem in some applications where alot of hours we done at the injection spray pattern change over at around trolling speed of 1800RPM or the engine was not set-up correctly and was lugging. OMC again with hindsight should not have rushed out to the heavy users like waterways because they became highly visible failures, that were all looked after under warranty, but it hurt them here and OS. On a recreational boat like a family boat or ski boat we have many in service with high hours because they do not spend alot of time at that RPM and as I said to Red the oil available today is much better than the basic carby oil 12 years ago.

Also as I mentioned there has not been or never will be a more powerful clean 90HP engine than a V4 90HP DI Evinrude because they do not use that V4 platform in that HP anymore and nothing has the grunt of that engine.

Cheers and good luck with it mate and as mentioned in the PM get the serial number and I can run thru the system.

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Thanks Craig, went and inspected the boat however i will give it a miss. The boat appears to have been torn and poorly repaired on the port side. Oh well, it was too good to be true after all. The hunt continues. Thanks for all your help.

Regards

Red