Wairo Beach Fishing

shirehunter

Hey Guys,

New to the site but thought Id do a quick writeup of a few days Beach Fishing down the south coast.

Spent 10 days down at Wairo beach just south of Ulladulla and being a complete newbie to beach fishing thought Id give my ****** special 12 foot beach rod a go with a few mates. Only got out on three mornings and on the beach before sun up every day saw us take a few different fish but all were fun. We mostly got Salmon however I hooked a decent Bream and my mate got a small flathead which went back into the drink. Biggest problem was the crabs, they were everywhere. Anyway heres a few pics from the beach

Salmon & Bream

post-12097-1263262142_thumb.jpg

My First Salmon

post-12097-1263262183_thumb.jpg

More to come

Watching the Sunrise with my Son

post-12097-1263262555_thumb.jpg

Bloody Crabs

post-12097-1263262583_thumb.jpg

Beach Salmon

post-12097-1263262672_thumb.jpg

Small Lizard

post-12097-1263262732_thumb.jpg

Morning haul

post-12097-1263263129_thumb.jpg

Edited by shirehunter

good looking catch for a morning session!

what rig and bait did you use? Ive only ever caught whiting, dart and bream off the beach using worms, never been able to catch salmon or tailor when i try using pillies!

We were using Pilchards on Gangs... Cause it was my first foray into beach fishing I picked up these pre tied suicide gang hooks from coles at Ulladulla. They worked really well. And we only used Pilchards, will have to give the worms a go as I dont mind whiting...

Edited by shirehunter

good looking catch for a morning session!

what rig and bait did you use? Ive only ever caught whiting, dart and bream off the beach using worms, never been able to catch salmon or tailor when i try using pillies!

for the salmon try using a half pillie on 2x2/0 ganged,they swallow their food whole so you don't really feel a bite,more like your bait rolled in the current,very fumbly,than the hit and disable like a tailor,as for the tailor,i reckon they are the fastest hitting fish in aust. quick as a trout maybe? except a trout only hits once and is gone and a tailor usally chomps your pillie 3x, if you ain't stiking on the second chomp, you missed it.once you know their bite,put a couple of 2/0 ball sinkers in your hand and lightly toss them up a couple of times and that is what a tailor hit feels like,and tailor tend to only hit whole undamaged pillies.hope this helps. :1fishing1: