Jewie/kingy Rod

mii11x

hi raiders,

looking at purchasing another rod primarily for jews on bait. the reels i will have fitted to it, a saltiga surf 6000 or 6500 shimano baitrunner. i already have a 10kg ugly stick that is fairly old which one reel is used with, but am currently using my mates rod as a 2nd rod. any suggestions guys??

also can the setup be used to live bait for kings or is an overhead setup more beneficial???

cheers

mick

I have a Crystal Blue 7ft 6-10kg with a 6500 Baitrunner which i like. I also have a 7'6" 6-10kg ugly stick with a 6500 baitrunner which a like. the Crystal Blue has a lighter tip whoch can be good for the jewies but still has balls down low. The Ugly Stick feels stiffer all the way through so it depends what you are after. Both would be within your budget. Sorry i dont have more time for research right now but type in "king" or "jew" into the search function in tackle talk and you should find a few previous threads on this. Also open any thread that is related to similar sized reels that you are using.

hi raiders,

looking at purchasing another rod primarily for jews on bait. the reels i will have fitted to it, a saltiga surf 6000 or 6500 shimano baitrunner. i already have a 10kg ugly stick that is fairly old which one reel is used with, but am currently using my mates rod as a 2nd rod. any suggestions guys??

also can the setup be used to live bait for kings or is an overhead setup more beneficial???

cheers

mick

Hi Mick

There is a 7' Ugly Stik model available from the U.S. that would suit you perfectly and is absolutely unique in that it is both sporty and quite sensitive while having plenty of backbone in reserve at the same time...

This Ugly Stik is an American model that is not available in Australia and it's notable that the components have not changed since 1979 apart from the colour red being added to the wraps as you can see in the photos and the size of the stripper guide was reduced from 50mm to 40mm in the eighties..

Mick I'm no salesman but this rod will suit all your needs from off shore fishing to river fishing....A Tiger spinning rod will also perfectly suit your landbased estuary and rock fishing especially where a short powerfull rod is required and particularly when you need a stronger rod to cope with the likes of kingfish..In fact this particular rod will handle almost anything that swims, yet it would be equally at home toying with a bream or a salmon as its 10lb-50lb line rating is virtually rolled into one

The particular rod I'm referring to is the Ugly Stik Tiger Rod and the model number for the spinning rod is BWS2201/2 Tiger, the BWS stands for Big Water Spinning.. Whilst I have eleven Tiger Rods including several with the big 50mm stripper guide, they are all spinning rods and none of my Tiger Rods are overhead models. I use a couple of Alveys and a Tica casting rod which I use with a Daiwa Sealine overhead ...Tiger casting rods are 1piece and are too long to send by United States Postal Service (USPS) and are too expensive to send to Australia via the other avenues. Whereas the 2pce 7' Tigers can be airmailed via USPS for around $35.00 U.S. each or around $45.00 for two.....

I was unable to find a photo of a Tiger spinnning rod on the internet.

The rod in the pictures below is the casting rod version i.e. BWC2201 - The Ugly Stik Tiger spinning rod comes with black Fuji Guides..

post-829-1263340091_thumb.jpg

post-829-1263339951_thumb.jpg

You can have 2 of these two piece Ugly Stik Tiger Spinning Rods airmailed to Australia in the one parcel via USPS and it would cost you a bit over $200 AUD all up for the two and they would take about a week to get here and would arrive at your door thru Australia Post.... If you are interested in American Ugly Stik Tiger Rods send me a PM and I will tell you how to go about getting one or two in from the States.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

silstar crystal blue tip 7' boat rod retail about $110 ive got one and cant fault it. matched with fin nor offshore reel, awsome reels massive drag power (60lb) 575 yards of 50lb braid and only around $250 at decent fishing shops,

atleast if u get a combo like this u can go all out on exspensive braid!!!!

i have this combo and has pulled alot of fish in no worrys, i have actually spoken to a couple of reel desingers for other companies whilest getting mine fixed and they all say the most exspensive popular reels are not always the best, and these guys build, design and fix all reels,

Edited by mc fishn

Hi McFishn, these Fin Nors are the go at that price, their larger reels and especially their deep sea overheads are all top shelf reels and particular in the drag area and they were rather expensive too.

The replacement 4000 Fin Nor that I have was made in China under strict quality control but all the larger Fin Nors were still made in the States at the time I believe... I would say that like Penn America they've moved their operation to China so it seems Fin Nor are also quite happy to sell their reels at a competive price from now on in favour of sales volume and that's real good news for fisherman who don't want to spend a lot of money to have a top performing reel... But I didn't know that they moved in 2006 according to a reel repairer as the larger models just seem to be starting to appear over here now perhaps, would this be correct to say, McFishn?

Thanks for the thumbs up mate :thumbup: looks like another 9500 Penn and the next size down the 8500 Fin Nor will be next on the shopping list and I know my mate Cungee George who happened to mention something about Fin Nor that he picked up the other day will be now quite happy buying one of each too...

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi McFishn, these Fin Nors are the go at that price, their larger reels and especially their deep sea overheads are all top shelf reels and particular in the drag area and they were rather expensive too.

The replacement 4000 Fin Nor that I have was made in China under strict quality control but all the larger Fin Nors were still made in the States at the time I believe... I would say that like Penn America they've moved their operation to China so it seems Fin Nor are also quite happy to sell their reels at a competive price from now on in favour of sales volume and that's real good news for fisherman who don't want to spend a lot of money to have a top performing reel... But I didn't know that they moved in 2006 according to a reel repairer as the larger models just seem to be starting to appear over here now perhaps, would this be correct to say, McFishn?

Thanks for the thumbs up mate :thumbup: looks like another 9500 Penn and the next size down the 8500 Fin Nor will be next on the shopping list and I know my mate Cungee George who happened to mention something about Fin Nor that he picked up the other day will be now quite happy buying one of each too...

Cheers

hay jewgaffer

fin nor have been around for a very long time and like u have mentioned they have now broken into the competive market with the latest release of the ofshore models which u can find at any decent fish shop if not they can order them in i think retail is around $230-250 pending on the model but they have exceptional drag power i believe 60lb preassure 27kg.. i have heard that penn are distributing a few models in the australian market at the moment or maybe jarvis walker? and i really think these reels are goin to make the competition go back to the drawing board, with prices, qaulity!!!!

here is a link to the offshore series,

http://www.finnorfishing.com/OffshoreOFS.html

basically u can use these reels for live baiting jigging deep sea and anything u want with the amount of line these baby's can hold u could even take on a marlin i believe, The biggest spinning reel will hold 550m of 80lb braided line. That’s, um, really big!!!