Leader

winfield

ok ive been on the hunt for my first jew fish for 2.5 years now,used diffrent tactics,rigs,tackle,you name it ive done it.but the fish gods still wont bless me with a mulloway yet.the only thing ive not changed in the few years chaseing jewies is my LEADER.i use the pen 30 pound leader cheap stuff ,could that be it??could it be a visual thing,like they get spooked when the see a pretty white leader in the water attached to a live yellow tail.AS SOON AS I GET ONE ILL LET THE FISH GO AND THROW THE RODS IN TOO....lol

im landbased

main line /30pound braid

reel/big enough

leader /penn 30 pound 30x (the el cheapo stuff)

rod/yeah good too

sanity/nah im up the creek without a paddle

help me plz

do you only use yellow tail

have you tried getting live squid or atleast go and catch some squid and cut it up as bait

i dont think the jews care if you on a budget but they do care whats on the end of the hook

and where abouts are you fishing location is a big key to success

ok ive been on the hunt for my first jew fish for 2.5 years now,used diffrent tactics,rigs,tackle,you name it ive done it.but the fish gods still wont bless me with a mulloway yet.the only thing ive not changed in the few years chaseing jewies is my LEADER.i use the pen 30 pound leader cheap stuff ,could that be it??could it be a visual thing,like they get spooked when the see a pretty white leader in the water attached to a live yellow tail.AS SOON AS I GET ONE ILL LET THE FISH GO AND THROW THE RODS IN TOO....lol

im landbased

main line /30pound braid

reel/big enough

leader /penn 30 pound 30x (the el cheapo stuff)

rod/yeah good too

sanity/nah im up the creek without a paddle

help me plz

yeah done the squid thing,i use squid more than i do yellow tail, as for fishing spots,i live in leichhardt and have access to most of the inner harbour from middle head to putney ive hit most it.so yeah am willing to give my first born for a mulloway lol.but im still leaning towards the leader thing

Who does use the Fluoro-Carbon Leader?

Could using them improve the strike rate?

Hi cameldownunder, I think fluoro monofilament added to the braid from the water level down would make a difference... it's certainly designed and marketted to do that and sells very well anyway..the thing is there are stretchy flouro carbon monafilament lines that you can use as wind on leaders tied to your braid using a a loop in the lighter line or your braid going into a short blood knot along the mono and there is also fluoro carbon leader material as such so you have make sure what the leader is before you buy it..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I think your trace is fine, i have caught them on coloured fishing line before. I think its something else you are doing like maybe the way your bait is presented? The area you are fishing? Not being patient enough. If you are fishing Sydney harbour just stick to fillets of fish or squid strips. Even use 20lb leader if you want. My favorite leader is Ande Pink in 30lb or 40lb, buy that you will never go wrong.

I've moved this to fishing chat.

It's not the tackle you are using mate but when & where you are fishing. If you are using self caught squid that has been looked after properly & livies then you should have had a jew by now.

Are you fishing when you should or when you can? Are you fishing the tide changes on the right moon phases with good barometric pressure or are you just fishing when it suits?

All the info you need can be found HERE!

Keep at it mate. When you crack the code it gets easier all the time.

Cheers,

Grant.