Boat Speed Without A License

Land based

welcome cameron , i beleive that if your boat can travel faster than 10knots you have to be licenced which your boat definitly will.if i where you i would go to maritime website and it will lead you in the right direction to get your licence.cheers and safe boating regards dunc333

Correct! :)

With respect to the members who may have inadvertently given land based incorrect advice to his question, the correct information and still current at this point of time is as follows:-

"Boat Licences"

"The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence"

Link To The NSW Maritime Site:-

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating...tingsafety.html

I hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

With respect to the members who may have inadvertently given land based incorrect advice to his question, the correct information and still current at this point of time is as follows:-

"Boat Licences"

"The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence"

Link To The NSW Maritime Site:-

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating...tingsafety.html

I hope this helps

Cheers

Sorry :wacko: .. My fault, but i am certian that someone on F.R. had posted about getting pulled over on the water and was advised by Maritime that if the boat was capable of doing more than 10knts a licence was required... Will have to have a flick through the old posts :biggrin2:

CHeeRS

Ant

Sorry :wacko: .. My fault, but i am certian that someone on F.R. had posted about getting pulled over on the water and was advised by Maritime that if the boat was capable of doing more than 10knts a licence was required... Will have to have a flick through the old posts :biggrin2:

CHeeRS

Ant

Ant

That was me.I was on the harbour and the police boat told me that i required a licence if my boat was cable of going over 10 knots and i told him i was under the impression that it was only if you traveled ten knots or more .I guess i did knot get a ticket so therefore he must of been wrong

Richard

My Opinion is you MUST have a license if you're taking a boat out in the water (regardless how fast you're planning to go)..specially if you've never owned a boat before. Its not just a "qualification" but the boating course will teach you HEAPS about the different navigation marks/signs, safety tips etc..

Plus its a fairly straight forward and easy test.

As a first time boat owner I have learnt alot from the course module and much more confident now taking my boat out compared to the stress level of the times I hired a tinny!

Hi, as Jewy posted is correct, any body can drive a boat under 10 knots without a licenase and that is why you can hire little tinnies and houseboats without a license. I agree and you should get one and always be careful until you get familar with the water and boats. I was skiing up at Wisemans on Sunday and trust me there is ALOT of people who do not really have a clue and it can be dangerous.

As for regos any boat with 6HP and up needs to be registered.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have done my license only 3 month ago.

You need a license if you go faster then 10 knots.

The license course didn't help much on the water, really just the basics. It gives you some insight, but to be reasonable is more important.

I did the day practice (all in one day), and I must admit that if you have the chance to go out with an experienced skipper, it would be much better.

They don't teach you how to launch the boat, or retrieve it. Nothing about ramp etiquette. And nothing about :1fishing1:

only theory about anchoring and I have been steering the boat about 10 mins.

Many boaties just go wild if they hit the water, example is a boat passing 5 meter past me (at anchor) with full throttle (40-50kmh) where it should have been 30m, or boats speeding through under spit bridge at 20 knots, creating huge waves. Tiny tinnies, carrying 5 people, with the top of the transom just 5 cm above water.

but if the boat goes over 10knots and you own the boat you must have a license regardless of what speed you drive it at

Where did you find that soul searching information FramedTrash? If you find it again please post it up for the benefit of others as there is a lot of old money around at the moment and it won't be long before some ginger headed 12 year old with freckles buys a hotted up retired mine sweeper that he has been disciplined enough with a stockwhip to drive within the limits..

Cheers

hi all i will check with water police as i believe if the boat is capable of going faster than 10 knots you must be lisenced as i posted before, i think we have found a grey area here .dont think just because its in the handbook its correct but you would have a good case in a court of law,the hire boats with little hp engines are usually goverened to restrict speed below 10 knots

hi again i just had a chat to a loverly constable at balmain who said if the boat is capable of going more than 10 knots you have to be licsenced then she said dont quote me we only enforce maritime laws so best to check with them so i :wacko: think we have found a big grey area that needs to checked out abit more!!!

Nope,

No grey area here.

If the boat travels faster than 9 knots (ie 10 knots or more) you must have a licence to operate it. This can be found in Regulation 76 (1)(B) of the Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009.

It says (unfortunately in a double negative) that:

(1) A vessel is exempt from section 63 of the Act if the vessel:

(b is not being operated at a speed of 10 knots or more.

Regulation 76

Section 63 of the Marine Safety Act 1998 says that you cant operate a vessel unless you have a licence.

Soooooo........ It doesnt matter if the vessel is capable of travelling faster than 10 knots. You must have a licence if it is being operated at or faster than 10 knots.

Evets

Nope,

hi evets and the gaffer you are 100% correct and should have never doubted the gaffer but thats what these forums are for.I was lucky enough today to run into the seargant of balmain water police who set me straight and said exactly what the legislation is.though he does think that the law is silly and should be changed.

No grey area here.

If the boat travels faster than 9 knots (ie 10 knots or more) you must have a licence to operate it. This can be found in Regulation 76 (1)(B) of the Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009.

It says (unfortunately in a double negative) that:

(1) A vessel is exempt from section 63 of the Act if the vessel:

(b is not being operated at a speed of 10 knots or more.

Regulation 76

Section 63 of the Marine Safety Act 1998 says that you cant operate a vessel unless you have a licence.

Soooooo........ It doesnt matter if the vessel is capable of travelling faster than 10 knots. You must have a licence if it is being operated at or faster than 10 knots.

Evets

i agree with jew gaffer as i got pulled upby martime!!!

they checked my safety gear and asked me the question where i answered i can drive this boat as long as i keep it under 8 knots .he said correct and let me go.

as well as knowing starboard and port sighns etc.

i now have had it for over 2 years