Bassometer

Jewhunter

G'day all.

We hear alot about barometric pressure & it's affect on fish & their feeding habits/activity levels.

About 18 months ago I caught a 26cm bass up at the dam, brought it home & stuck it in a 4ft tank.

I also live on the Tweed River so I'm lucky to be able to watch & study bait movement, fish activity & feeding times.

I thought I'de write this because my bass has been highly active for the past 3 days with a steady baro at 1018. Since this morning it has fallen nearly 10 points & my bass is now sulking at the bottom of it's tank.

I've seen this before. When we went bassing the other week it was also very active. We had a top mornings fishing. There have been other times when it's been sulking & we've fished & it's been shutdown.

Bugger the barometer! I'll go by my bassometer any day! :074:

It's also interesting to see how fish learn. If the kids or the wife walk past the tank it just looks at them. As I'm the one that feeds it as soon as I walk by it slashes the surface so I can hear it & starts "gobbing" at me. Opening & closing it's mouth as they do when they feed. Amazing.

I was looking at the river this evening at sundown. It was glassed out, 35 degrees outside but dead as. Last week there were mullet jumping, herring & gar everywhere getting whacked & prawns skipping. As soon as the barometer is low all that activity stops. Interesting to watch. It happens on any moon phase & time of the day. When it spikes back up again the activity will return.

So if anyone doubts that fish aren't affected by barometric pressure then I have some advice. Get a bass, stick it in a tank or pond & then study when it's most & least active.

You'll then have the best fishing Bassometer of all! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

hahaha and to think iwas going to buy a small lil weather station thing with a barometer etc.. on it lol might just have to buy a tank :P and chuck in a yakka or some mullet see if they work the same :P or maybe get a kiddie pool fill with salt water and put in a kingfish so i can see when hes more active so i know if i should go fishn for em :P

Edited by DGF

A fun post it might be, but I've seen the Bassometer in question and it has never failed. Before seeing it I was a bit of a skeptic about just how much effect the barometric pressure had on fishing.

Now I'm a true believer!

And it's amazing watching it feed... gives a real insight into why Bass are such good sport fish when you see one almost take off your fingers while you feed it slaters :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

Like Slinky, I, too, have seen the "Bassometer" in action - every home should have one!!!

Hey Grant - get some video of 'feeding the Bassometer' & put it on youtube! I think it is neat!!

Roberta

G'day Jewhunter,

What does the Bassometer say about fishing on this fine Australia Day Tuesday?

The familys going to the beach for a barbie and thought I'd sneak the rods along, just in case.

G'day tevoro.

I don't know if the baro is the same for Sydney as it is up here but my bass was pretty active this morning.

I got a few nice fish & was dusted by a big Jack. :1badmood:

Hope you had a good Aussie Day!

Cheers,

Grant.