Underpowered Bayhunter

K12

First post so be gentle boys. I own a 475 Bayhunter with a 40hp evenrude fitted , which can only just get onto plane with 4 people on board, It's not to bad with 2 or 3 ,but that one extra ? Anyway ,what are my best options .1. repower with a 60hp [max for 95mod] for around $9,500 new ? [have been looking for a low hour 2nd hand one with no luck] 2. Sell the lot and buy a later model boat with higher HP eg . Coastrunner 90hp. Would a Coastrunner or equivilent be a much better hull than my old bayhunter?[that has only got 160hrs up and is in great order] So instead of fitting a new 60hp motor and having a boat that ows Me around $16500 [if I sell the old motor] , should I sell it and spend $25k .cheers . any advice aprieciated

Hi, nobody but you can answer what you should do, but you could be over propped-what RPM are you seeing at WOT, you could fit permatrims and make sure engine height is right. That said a 40HP on that boat is min HP and it would not cost you that much to buy a new 60HP for us and a fair bit cheaper if you are looking at a dirty 60HP. We also have a good second 60HP Evinrude and Merc here that would work well.

PM me if you would like prices on new engine options and even trading the coplete rig in to a bigger/better boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, nobody but you can answer what you should do, but you could be over propped-what RPM are you seeing at WOT, you could fit permatrims and make sure engine height is right. That said a 40HP on that boat is min HP and it would not cost you that much to buy a new 60HP for us and a fair bit cheaper if you are looking at a dirty 60HP. We also have a good second 60HP Evinrude and Merc here that would work well.

PM me if you would like prices on new engine options and even trading the coplete rig in to a bigger/better boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi huey thanks for the reply. Mate at WOT I am seeing 5,500 rpm . I will give you a call

Edited by K12

I also have a Bayhunter. It is a 2000 model with a 70hp Yamaha and I love it. It planes easily with 5 people aboard and will cruise happily at 50kph at 4,000rpm. We have over 200hrs on it now with no trouble and the extra power is great when you get that extra large following sea that wants to pick your boat up and turn it into a surfboard. I think you are just underpowered.

Mate i have a 40hp on a 4m tinny. I even complain when there is 3 people onboard as it slows down so much. I would say that you will never be happy with the way a 40hp performs on that no matter what make engine. I thinks buying an underpowered engine is quite common. My old man bough a quinnie about ten years ago with a 40hp on it. Got rid of it a year later as it moved so slowly and bought a stegcraft with 200 johno. Not my favourite hull but that enging was a beast and made our boating so much more enjoyable. Huey is right though only you can answer this one. How much $$$$$ do you have to spare.

Sorry if this suggestion sucks as my hull knowledge is lacking but could you keep the engine and modify the transom and wack another 40hp on it for twin engines? Would save you losing the resale on the engine and also you would be able to buy a cheaper engine than $9500.

I also have a Bayhunter. It is a 2000 model with a 70hp Yamaha and I love it. It planes easily with 5 people aboard and will cruise happily at 50kph at 4,000rpm. We have over 200hrs on it now with no trouble and the extra power is great when you get that extra large following sea that wants to pick your boat up and turn it into a surfboard. I think you are just underpowered.

I have the same boat as Mr475 and and quite happy with the performance so far. Havn't towed anyone yet but will certainly be giving it a go.

Mr475 I am interested in seeing pics of your boat for some ideas as to what I could do to mine.

Thanks.

I have the same boat as Mr475 and and quite happy with the performance so far. Havn't towed anyone yet but will certainly be giving it a go.

Mr475 I am interested in seeing pics of your boat for some ideas as to what I could do to mine.

Sadly I haven't taken any photos of the boat yet. Too busy enjoying it. Will have to do something about that soon. The boat is only standard but has the required offshore gear (radio, etc) and the standard baitboard at the stern. No accessories such as burley bucket or kill tank or live bait tank. The only thing I have done is install LED nav lights. They really stand out. And I have a canopy which clips to the windscreen to provide adequate shelter. That's about it . Sorry I am not more creative.