Nav Lights And Electric Motor For Tinny

JET01

This is my first post on Fishraider, nice to meet you all.

Just bought a 3.5m tinny with at 15hp Yamaha and need to get 2 things sorted before I get fishing.

Nav lights and electric motor.

Being a small boat its primarily to fish with soft plastics in Port Hacking.

It doesn't have nav lights at this stage and was looking for some opinions on the best way to fit some.

Are there temporary set ups that you can put on in case of bad weather, or for the odd occassion we leave early or get back late? Or would the cost of a temporary set be similar to fitting permanent lights.

I'm also of the impression i require a 360 stern light and port and stbd lights.

I'm also looking at fitting an electric motor to aid drifting and would like some opinions on what the best options would be.

As for the power source for lights and motor, would I need a car battery or is it possible to run it off the outboard motor? How does it all work?

Let me know if i should be posting some pics of the boat to help you respond.

Are there temporary set ups that you can put on

Yes. They are normally powered by 2 X "D" cell torch batteries. Available from most large marine outlets.

Or would the cost of a temporary set be similar to fitting permanent lights.

Permanant lights require cableing. A switch is preferable but battery clips are an option. The torch batteries units would be less expensive

I require a 360 stern light

Correct , also available with torch batteries

As for the power source for lights and motor, would I need a car battery or is it possible to run it off the outboard motor? How does it all work?

For the elect motor you will require a 12V deep cycle AGM battery , depending on the size of the motor , say 55 lb thrust , around 80 AH + a battery charger.

These are not cheap , $300 - $400.

The nav lights could be run off this battery

Geoff

I have a small tinny for bass & bay fishing. I run a yamaha 15hp which has a port for charging a battery. You just buy the wire harness & plug it in & then attach the bulldog clips to your battery. Now you have a power source for running a electric motor & lights. This is great for calm water fishing however I find having a battery in a small tinny in a bay situation where it tends to get a bit choped up it is better to have a set of clip on lights that are powered by drycell batteries to be a better alternative. Having the 2 set up's is relatively cheap. I also run 2x 6volt fork lift batteries that outlast 12volt marine batteries by about 6times the cycle when not charging. However these batteries cost 10 times as much.

Regards Jeff

mate i have a 4m tinny and use a 55lb watersnake. cost me $300 and it does that job great.

i would def get a deep cycle battery to run everything. - a 1m 360 stern light cost me $60. wiring doesnt cost much at all.

i would def say just mount the nav lights permanently as then u dont have to worry about them ever again. after owning ur own boat for a while i reckon most people start going whenever they can so u will be able to go at night without worrying.