Downrigger, But No Kinggy - Yet!

Caine1

Well, got my downrigger, 8lb bombs (just in case I loose the first) and headed out to the bait grounds. Picked up 1 squid in 3 drifts and 4 yakkas. That was all I was going to need. Monday morning and I thought it was going to be a little quieter but I should have known. A lot of boats which wasn't all that bad as I got to chat with a few.

Started downrigging around middle head for nothing. But wound up and my squid had gone without a trace. On goes a yakka and started putting along for nothing.

North Head and 20 mins there for nothing. Was a great day weather wise, albeit cloudy, and decided to check out the other markers. Didn't get anything and didn't see anyone getting anything. First time using downrigger and I thought it was great. I could see the bomb on the sounder so it was easy to avoid the bottom.

Headed back in to Roseville after letting all the livies go (they all survived) and was waved down by a bloke on a yatch. Somehow they had drifted from their archoring bouy. 'Give us a tow'.....no probs. Merc 30 in a quinny fishabout pulling a yatch who in turn was connected to a boat who was connected to a dingy.......I was impressed...

IMG00043.jpg

till next time.......hopefully with a pic of a kingy big enough to drag me, a yatch and a couple-a boats :1prop:

Cheers

Edited by catch-22

Well done on being the helping sort of fisho, too many people drive past not giving a damn these days :1badmood: .

The ole 30hp mer in a small tinny packs a punch. gregs boat is a 4.2m with a 30, and he has towed 6metre fibre glass in, 30-38ft sail craft in,,,, and INCLUDING a boat with state and local authorities regos on it un-named in to avoid shame, lol.

God bless the mercs

Dan

God bless the mercs

Dan

hahaha...

Two boats drove by him......He was not hard to miss, standing on the stern, bouncing and frantically waving his arms. I assumed they were just in a hurry or ticked off as they probably didn't catch anything that day...

He was heading in to the rocks and was only about 15 metres away before he threw me the rope.

Still, I'd have done anything to delay the embarrassment of getting home fishless....... :1prop::1prop:

Edited by catch-22

Always good to help someone out, just remember to only tow at a slow motor revs and idle speed, pushing the throttle forward to get more power will cook your motor very quickly as the motor revs does not increase due to the towing load and as the spark is advanced manually on an outboard, pre ignition overheats the motor. Its the same as over propellor fitting.

Regards Saltrix