Long Reef On Monday

DerekD

Been wanting to get out to Long reef for a long time after hearing about the big kings out there. While my boat would theoretically get out there with the low freeboard and the safety requirements it is not something I would really consider. With three mates we rented a boat a little more suited to that sort of trip last Monday (had to take it off to make it a 4 day long Australia day weekend).

After collecting the boat we did a little bit of unsuccesful fishing inside the harbour before collecting our fourth fishing buddy. Made our way past North head and did a little bit of trolling with the X-rap magnums but didn't hook up. Once we had cleared North head we made more or less straight for long reef trolling a couple of skirts. First hook up was a nice bonito. Second hook up was also a bonito. Starting to look promising. Just to the south of the long reef we slowed down and put down a variety of lures. Things started to get a little interesting on the North side of Long reef when we started to hook up on "would you believe it" more bonito. We then started flicking about metals and x-rap slash baits to pick up even more. We had found the mother load. That was the story for the rest of the morning. Every time it was quiet we would troll the slash baits till they got hit and we would then flick the lures around. It was interesting watching the sounder and then estimating when we would hook up. We had a few quadruple hook ups and we had a ball. We picked up one small king.

At one stage as it was getting a bit warm we thought about a quick swim over the side. About two minutes later I looked into the distance and realised there was something strange on the surface about 50m away from us. I then realised it was a small shark. Cool... but it put an end to the idea of a swim.

About midday we made our way back to North head where we managed a frigate mackeral and a fair few more bonito. By the end of the day I think we hand landed about 60 bonito between us. Great fun on the lighter 10lb gear. Just wish i had had my bream rod with me. Love to try them on the 4lb gear.

Great day had by all. Sorry no photos available at the moment.

Derek