Bit Of Advice For A Potential Boat

steze

Hi everybody, Im very keen at the moment in purchasing an old boat to go fishing just around the area. Being very unfamaliar with boats i am very hesitant in purchasing one. One of my fathers workmates whom he knows quite well has just informed us that he is selling is boat.

He is selling quite cheap, im not very sure if its cheap or not as i dont know much about the boat yet. He said the boat is fibreglass and is about 5.5 metres, its got a Johnson 70hp outboard motor. I am planning to go have a look at it next week. He said that the boat has been sitting there for about 5 years therefore im assuming that he has owned the boat for over 5 years but rarely uses it? However he guarantees that the engine will start first go and he also said that the hull is in very very good condition. He wants to get rid of it as he never has the time to take it out " as stated by my fathers work mate". I dont know what make it is either. Even if he is my fathers mate, i dont trust everything that he says until i can see for myself.

He has shown us some photos that he has taken with his mobile but i want to go look at it myself.

What i would like to ask is what are the basic things i should be looking out for. Im assuming that the johnson engine will be old, but the hull doesnt look too old and seems to be in good condition based on the photos.

I have read alot of magazines and articles on the internet in regards to second hand boats. Although i have some sort of information i am still very uncertain as in what to check on the boat when i go to have a look at it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steven

Your right not to believe everything the seller tells you. It shouldn't be hard to verify the age of the boat and motor. If the boat is actually 5.5m then it is quite underpowered and might be the reason he doesn't use it much. With fiberglass boats you have to watch out for dry rot - particular in the transom (usually made of wood). A rotten transom can cost thousands to fix and the rot may extent to the stringers in the hull. Running the engine on a flusher is no test either. A faulty engine can run fine like this, but when put under load (ie pushing the boat through the water), won't pull the skin off a rice custard! So a water test and/or a check by a mechanic is essential. Don't forget to look at the trailer either. Look out for any signs of rust in the frame, check that it has brakes that work and that it is rated to carry the weight of the boat and then some. Check the age of the tyres too, they should be replaced after five years.

PS: remember ther are thousands of boats for sale at any one time so don't be in a rush to buy the first one you see. Not only do you need to check out the condition and price of the boat for sale it is worth researching the models as well to see if it will perform to your expectations. Eg how will it ride (deep or moderate V), what is the the optimum horsepower, etc.

Also , ensure the boat is "Boatcoded" . This is the sellers responsibility.

5.5mt is a heavy boat so will need something reasonable as a tow vehicle , 6 cyl or 4WD.

If you can post some photo's & the asking price it would assist members with their replies

Geoff

Also , ensure the boat is "Boatcoded" . This is the sellers responsibility.

5.5mt is a heavy boat so will need something reasonable as a tow vehicle , 6 cyl or 4WD.

If you can post some photo's & the asking price it would assist members with their replies

Geoff

Thank you for the advice, the asking price is $2500. I am going to look at it next week so will upload photos for everyone to see.

So is 70hp too weak for a 5.5 metre boat? And also where is the transom?

Edited by steze

And also where is the transom?

It's the stern , where the motor is fitted.

In respect to billfisher comment,

With fiberglass boats you have to watch out for dry rot - particular in the transom

This normally begins around the rear drain (bung) holes. Check this area carefully. If when pressing around the drain hole there is any flexing or it feels spongy walk away.

The price may sound attractive but 5.5 mt for your first boat may be a bit oversized

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, ive finally got a chance to go look at the boat and take some pictures. The boat is a Pride Starfire. Im not sure what year model the hull is. The engine starts straight away and it seems to be ok however it requires a service and the seller is willing to go half with me, thats if i do decide to purchase the boat. I was also wrong about the length of the boat, its not 5.5 metres but more like 4.5 metres. Below are the pictures, i havent given the guy an offer yet but in your opinion is $2500 for this boat worth it. The boat is a bit dirty because he hasnt used it in a while and there is also no damage to the boat. I looked very carefully around and under the boat and there are no marks of any sort to show patching up marks.

Thanks,

Steven

1resized.jpg

2resized.jpg

3resized.jpg

5resizedt.jpg

6resozed.jpg

7resized.jpg

8resizedy.jpg

Edited by steze

tidy boat

i would get a mechanic to give the boat a good looking over

its worth paying some one to check the whole boat over first

alot cheaper then buying the boat and running into problems down the track

maybe speak to huey about the motor can run into problems with really old motors could have issues getting parts if some thing ever went wrong

Edited by Framedtrash

tidy boat

i would get a mechanic to give the boat a good looking over

its worth paying some one to check the whole boat over first

alot cheaper then buying the boat and running into problems down the track

maybe speak to huey about the motor can run into problems with really old motors could have issues getting parts if some thing ever went wrong

I also agree that it is a tidy boat, i contacted ash today from xtreme mobile marines ( one of the site sponsors) and might get him to come have a look at it if i decide to go through with the sale.

Hi, $2500 is fair price for the old Pride. Make sure the floor, transom are solid and the old Johno is mechanically sound, they can go many years those old girls , but parts for the trim system are getting rare new, but again plenty of second hand components for these engines due to the thousands sold new. I bet most people who have owned 3-4 boats once in there time has had a 3 cylinder Johnson or Evinrude.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, $2500 is fair price for the old Pride. Make sure the floor, transom are solid and the old Johno is mechanically sound, they can go many years those old girls , but parts for the trim system are getting rare new, but again plenty of second hand components for these engines due to the thousands sold new. I bet most people who have owned 3-4 boats once in there time has had a 3 cylinder Johnson or Evinrude.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey, based on your knowledge, do you know approximately how old this engine is and weather they are of reasonable quality for a first boat.

Hi Huey, based on your knowledge, do you know approximately how old this engine is and weather they are of reasonable quality for a first boat.

Hi, the Johno is early 70's. Get the model number and I can tell you the exact age. Yes if all solid it would make a fine first boat and with care will last another 30 years. Some things just looking at the pictures is the steering pulley system should be upgraded to SST cable instaed of the cable now used, you will need a battery and ideally the engine should have a few things done to it due to its age and really not many people were doing this back then that are still in business today so you need to know what you are doing otherwise you can spend way too much on this engine. We see it all the time, people bring an engine in that they have spent alot of money one and they should not have. It happened twice last week, a guy spent a small fortune on this engine with a certain company and the engine was of an age that it should not be done and the engine was down on compression on no.1 cylinder and he wasted his money. Other guy was a very simialr story and you have to have experience to know what to do and what not to do with old girls like this otherwise you can easily spend more on it than it is worth.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, the Johno is early 70's. Get the model number and I can tell you the exact age. Yes if all solid it would make a fine first boat and with care will last another 30 years. Some things just looking at the pictures is the steering pulley system should be upgraded to SST cable instaed of the cable now used, you will need a battery and ideally the engine should have a few things done to it due to its age and really not many people were doing this back then that are still in business today so you need to know what you are doing otherwise you can spend way too much on this engine. We see it all the time, people bring an engine in that they have spent alot of money one and they should not have. It happened twice last week, a guy spent a small fortune on this engine with a certain company and the engine was of an age that it should not be done and the engine was down on compression on no.1 cylinder and he wasted his money. Other guy was a very simialr story and you have to have experience to know what to do and what not to do with old girls like this otherwise you can easily spend more on it than it is worth.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thank you for the helpful information