My Dream Trip Just Weeks Away

Gorms

Gday everyone,

I write this post hat in hand hoping for any advice that the good people of FR might have.

In March, myself and 2 good mates will be hiring a Toyota Hilux Dual cab, putting my 5 metre centre console on the back and heading off for a trip i have dreamt of since i was 6 years old. My first dream was to fish Montague island, which was awesome, now for Barra up in QLD.

The places we will stop and fish for a few days each will be:

Forster: offshore

South West Rocks: offshore

Moreton Bay: offshore

Gold coast : both offshore and in calmer water for Bream (like in the ABT)

and then to cap it all off

Lake Monduran

Gary from Seriously Stainless is nice enough to get some outriggers fitted to my boat prior to leaving. I'll have my 2 downriggers and my 55lb Minn Kota which should help us out in a few spots. Ive also got a plumbed live bait tank which can hold a 20 livies or so.

If anyone has fished these areas, knows some solid bait grounds, or some areas which have been kind to them in the past, myself and the boys would be very appreciative of any info and advice you may have.

Along the way ill be posting reports with photos, as well as putting some of the action on youtube. At the end i will turn all the exciting stuff into a short movie.

Any advice, fun stories from past experiences, let me have it. Too much knowledge and advice is never enough in my opinion.

The way i look at it, 3000+ kms is a long way to drive to not be fishing in the right areas.

Thanks in advance,

Gorms.

post-8018-1265461218_thumb.jpg

G'day Gorms,

Drop me a line just before you hit the Gold Coast and I'll give you an update on what's happening, where.

I'm going to be fishing Monduran at the end of March too. Lets hope the weather and Barra are cooperative :1fishing1:

Cheers, Slinky

thanks very much mate.

I'll be talking to you on the way up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mate,

Glad to see the boat is all sorted out. That is one hell of a trip you've got planned. The only advice that I can Give you is that if it is blowing out of the North East at South West Rocks DO NOT ATTEMPT the bar crossing. We went on our weekend away in November and didn't go out at all on the charter boat. Good Luck Mate Safe Trip and TIGHT LINES.

Nathan

Hey Mate,

Glad to see the boat is all sorted out. That is one hell of a trip you've got planned. The only advice that I can Give you is that if it is blowing out of the North East at South West Rocks DO NOT ATTEMPT the bar crossing. We went on our weekend away in November and didn't go out at all on the charter boat. Good Luck Mate Safe Trip and TIGHT LINES.

Nathan

Hey pal. Good to hear from you again.

We haven't booked accomodation for any places other than monduran so if the weather is terrible for a few days we can just keep heading north.

Thanks for the advice though. Your always on the money.

Will let you know how we go!

G'day mate , I grew up in Forster and my old man Max works at Barcley Marine , near the shopping center etc. When you get there go in and say G'Day he will point you in the right direction , [just ask JewHunter] all he does is fish and he could really help you out with not just spots , but when to be fishing them , collecting livies etc etc . He's fished for everything except for trout and carp , and all over the area so he could probaly give you some low down info on South West Rocks too as we have fished it plenty.

Bisbane Bream not sure about how that will be , hard without an electric , but flats fishing would be a lot easier in that size boat , there are massive bream and flats at Forster , I have no experience at Brissy but im sure Slinky could help .

Monduran I would definately anchor off a prominent point or island that the wind is blowing on , otherwise anchor in the mouth of a sidecreek coming off a main channel . Just sit there and hammer it fot an hour or two . Bait can be everywhere so it can be missleading on the sounder sometimes ,Otherwise I would look for tightly balled bait with big fish sitting just of the compacted ball , but you need some depth for this and you can troll around sounding covering lots of ground while doing so . Last of all , I would go late arvo into the night if your real keen , a bit of surface in some shallow water and take heaps of Bushmans Tropical Strengh that stuff is so strong it could double as paint stripper! And if you are struggling just drive up to Awoonga it's not far , and have a crack up there .

Good luck should be the trip of a lifetime . :thumbup:

Very jealous gorms I have a soft spot for monduran, with my dad (basscatcher) and I catching our best barra from that dam. Spend some time searching in the timbered areas searching points and drop offs. Finding channels and such. Slowley rolling 110mm slick rigs is the 'go to' lure for that area, try boiling them for the most action on a slower roll. Good luck with the barra and the bream and such, very jealous of your trip :P

Cheers bassboy

Edited by bassboy888