Houseboating On The Hawkesbury

mosh313

heading down to the hawksbury next week for 3 nights on a houseboat. im from perth and was wondering where some good spots are with mooreing near-by to catch some decent fish. im from perth so i dont no the area to well but i have a few maps off the internet etc. i know there is afew topics like this previously been posted but im just wondering if there is any new info that could help me. we should be heading to the Cowan Creek area. any help would be appreciated.

thanx :1fishing1:

Guest bluecod
one thing would be were some good proven squiding spots are? and afew spots for catching live nippers and anything else thats good for bait?

42085[/snapback]

The heads of most of the bays in Cowan will have squid over the seagrass on the drop-offs - similarly for the nippers, the sandflats at the heads of the bays in Cowan - a lot of the sandflats in Cowan have very coarse sand and I've found the best time to pump nipper in the Cowan is on a rising tide when the flats are just starting to get covered.

:1welcomeani: Mosh... I did the same thing recently for a bucks night weekend.. was a good time, except the boat broke down 3 times :thumbdown: wont use that company again... :ranting2:

But I found (depending on size of housebaot, we had the 45 footer) that getting into areas is a little difficult. Gunya Point was a good spot to drop anchor and pull some tailor, and refuge bay was good also for bream and flatties.

Cowan creek is good, but a few good looking areas of it are off limits to houseboats, as is places like flint and steele etc. But if you head up Smiths creek, there is some decent spots, that we found... just remember the houseboats can't be used after nightfall at all... so anchor in a sheltered spot, or grab a public mooring, before dark.

does anyone have a map showing were the publics mooring are? do the houseboats have a souder in them at all? im probly better of using the 12 foot boat that come with the houseboat with its little engine to get into some good spot which are off limits to the houseboat?

Dont have a map with public moorings... but they are everywhere :biggrin2: and even if its not a public mooring, most of them hardly ever get used.. just grab one and moor up...

They dont have a sounder :tease: not made for fishing :biggrin2:

and the 12 foot tinny is usually an unstable plastic job with a 2hp on the back.. and I mean unstable :1prop:

Its James mate,

Theres sposed to be mulloway around Gunyah point, Juno Point, around the bridges , Flint and Steel. Ive got us a yabby pump, and know where we can get some. Ive been talking to my uncle about the area, hes a top fisherman and knows everything.

Good to hear from ya.

No mulloway in the river here fellas, they're called Jewfish. :1prop: The bridges are good for bream and the odd jew, although I only get bream there. Drifting between the bridges and along the starboard markers that lead up to juno point is a great way to score flathead and big ones too if you fish a couple of bigger baits. Cast soem lures around too while you wait for the baits to go off. My only tip would be berley! Make sure you use it, very important in the Hawkesbury. Who are you getting the houseboat from?

yeh they're ok I think, just wondering really. :thumbup: Flatties are not fussy, fish strips, whitebait, blue bait, pilchards and prawns should see you get fish no sweat. Berley is anything leftover or pilchards work ok and try to get to a produce or pet food warehouse in sydney and get a big bag of chicken pellets, trust me they work wonders, a sprinkling of tuna oil and you got a fantastic berley trail that will entice some big arse bream.