Recipe For Bonito

DGF

Now few weeks back i scored my first bonito and ive heard by alot of people that they arnt that good eating, i beg to differ, i came up with this recipe as i was going along and it turned out to be the best tasting fish ive had in a very very long time and i had brought it to work for lunch with some of my work mates and even a NON fish eater enjoyed it.

I don't know exact measurements unfortunately

Firstly i caught the bonito at avoca beach prepared it straight away by bleeding it out not letting it touch any hot surfaces (as RayR told me) let it bleed out and gutted it once it was bled out fish just died so i put it into the esky with some ice.

Now i skinned and filleted the fish and removed the centre bloodline and some flesh that had blood in it

cut it up into say 5cm loins/portions gave them a quick light coat in some seasame oil, dipped them into some flour with lemon pepper seasoning.

Then pan fried these portions in some chilli oil ( i have my own home made stuff from reallly hot peppers that were grown at home and have been sitting in olive oil for a 2months roughly *extremly hot*) depending on how spicy you want them i like it hot however i was bringing it to work so i used a few drops of my chilli oil ,some more seasame oil and tiny bit of olive oil in the pan just enough t let the portions just sit in the oil.

when cooked tiny bit of lemon over them serve with salad in a thai style dressing (coriander,chilli,seasame oil + dash of balsamic) and ENJOY!

Products used:

Bonito fillets cut into loins boneless

Flour

Sesame Oil

Chilli Oil (i use home made can use bought stuff too add as much as you can handle)

lemon pepper seasoning

olive oil (if needed as i only used few drops of sesame and chilli oil)

Salad

Mixed lettuce salad

Dressed with corriander tiny bit of chilli balsamic vinegar sesame oil

Sorry i cant write up a exact 100% recipe its all just stored in my head :/

Oh and as for the chilli you can add as much or as little as you like depending on how much you like chilli personally i love it and with these bonito portions were opnly JUST spicy and not burn your ass hot :P

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds great!! I'll tell one thing you should try next time with Bonito or any thick fish is once you cut your 5cm section just BUTTERFLY IT so its half as thick.. This makes a huge difference because the fish does'nt dry out at all.. you will love it :thumbup::28: