Surgeon Fishing

rickster

I can't believe the number of maniacs that have PM'd me for details on spots in the harbour to chase surgeons.

To hazza, vietgod, cephalod, woodchop and smitty, you guys have my deepest sympathy :wacko: I have emailed you all the same 2 "hotspots", maybe you can get in contact with each other and arrange a trip. My mate Steve and I will join you, though as he suggested, we won't actually be fishing, we'll be the ones selling the floats and laughing ourselves silly at the number of bust-ups. A lot of fishos probably aren't aware of the surgeons power and speed on those initial runs but it can be quite amazing.

get into it boys and enjoy!

I can't believe the number of maniacs that have PM'd me for details on spots in the harbour to chase surgeons.

To hazza, vietgod, cephalod, woodchop and smitty, you guys have my deepest sympathy :wacko: I have emailed you all the same 2 "hotspots", maybe you can get in contact with each other and arrange a trip. My mate Steve and I will join you, though as he suggested, we won't actually be fishing, we'll be the ones selling the floats and laughing ourselves silly at the number of bust-ups. A lot of fishos probably aren't aware of the surgeons power and speed on those initial runs but it can be quite amazing.

get into it boys and enjoy!

haha i know the power my fingers still have scars from catching them on 60lb handline and they were each 60+cm and weighed more than 1.5kg each i landed 4 of them before i just couldnt take the slices in my fingers :P i should try a heavy boat rod next time hahah

this was at pier 2 in the harbour :P

Edited by DGF

Are they busting you off or biting you off as the teeth are quite sharp ?

Cheers Stewy

Definetely busting, we only use about 2kg trace for the blackys, it's like hooking up with an anchor only these don't stop when they hit the bottom. if you have'nt hooked them before on light gear, be afraid, be very afraid!

Oh I have the right artillery for them.

Certate 4000 with 20lb braid and a steelhead graphite blackfish stick that will haul their butts out and I wont be using silly 2kg traces either :074:

Cheers Stewy

ive seen them bust 60lb mono :P id be using my 65lb braid on them :) with 100lb wire trace see if they can take that hahah

Edited by DGF

Certate 4000 with 20lb braid and a steelhead graphite blackfish stick that will haul their butts out and I wont be using silly 2kg traces either :074:

Cheers Stewy

Take plenty of gear then Stewy, ya gunna need it if your fishing the Peir with that gear!

Rod to long, line to light and just to many sticks there to land these fish.

Brutal combat is the only way from shore.....

Hardest part is finding a hook thats still small enough that won't straighten that you can get a decent leader threw!!!

G

Rippler rod and expedition might have a chance then :biggrin2:

They are only small fish and I reckon if guys are getting em on little blackie rods ,I will have no worries and I will be using pan hooks in size 6 as recommended by Nanook.

Just lean back and enjoy the ride :1yikes:

Cheers Stewy

get some water ski's :P they are usually small but the ones i caught wouldnt fit in the bucket lol the smallest one just fit in with the height of them being wider than the bucket and the tails were still sticking out was a 10litre bucket :P

damn now i feel like going fishing :(

Cheers Stewy

You go for it stewy, 20lb braid can't be that expensive - or is it. I'll still back a surgeon going a 100mph through pylons against 20lb braid on most days. you could always go heavier but i'm not sure what the breaking strain of your blackfish stick is. :(

These fish I have encountered many many times and well its about 1 in 10 you land no matter the gear I have tried using a MT4144 cut down in the butt to 10 foot and still no luck! Rick BTW what spots were they i don't wantto come home and find my fav blackie haunt like Pitt Street! :05::1prop: Oh and any tips where the blackies areholding at the moment i am back for a week soon and need a fix! :beersmile:

best bet for landing big ones is using a 10ft 15kg rod heavy mono at least 30lb with 60lb-80lb leader with small size 1 live bait hook smallest u can get in any good qaulity brand, forget your baitholder/longshanks they will break key is to get them away from the structure with a burley trail leading to you bait under a float then hold on and hope he runs away from the peirs!!!! ahahaha :biggrin2:

Good luck, the only time I have successfully landed them is after winching them (surgeons) and the anchor up on my combo after them have wrapped me around it. My 1st ever srugeon was caught with 2 other raiders and they were very suprised at the speed and power of this species.

Dan

I've always wanted to try my luck on these fish.. I've seen the sheer power they can exert... But can never tempt them to take my baits...

Does anyone know a way to specifically target them? I've never actually had a hookup... in fact they are so wary they don't take the baited hook....

Everyone is suggesting really heavy leader line... don't these fish see them and back off from your baited hook??

Well the thing with me is, whenever I burley up with bread, I end up bringing a couple around, bait out bread, without much luck.. although I've seen it done before...

I've also heard of people getting them on cooked prawns, is that true too? Also on squid chunks.

People are suggesting weed, but I never had a hit from any fish using weed before. Probably using the wrong type...

good luck on 20lb stewy...

i was using a 12kg stick with a cerate 4000 hyper custom and was absolutely outgunned...

rod was bending over so far when i got busted the rod flicked up and hit me hard in the face hahhaha

then i started using a 15kg stick with my 8000 stella with 50lb braid and still couldnt stop the bigger 1s...

gamakatsu make an awesome hook, nice and small but VERY strong heavy gauge hook...

good luck guys... u'll need it lol

Hey stewy,

I'll tell you now. 20lb braid is way to little to use on surgeons. I've caught them on 10lb to 60cms but i had to lock the drag. The theory of letting them run with surgeons doesnt work. Youve got to give it to them if youre using that sort of gear. I recommend you get out the gear you used on those big GT's on these fellas and use the smallest thickest hook you can find.

cheers,

I have caught many in the 50-60cm bracket.. The luderick gear works ok with the 20lb braid and 20-25lb leader. It wil be maxed out but still able to land 4 out of 5 Surgeons.

The trick is to have your float on the braid, small swivel then your leader. The leader will pop before the braid hence saving your float.

There is a great hook which is a Mustad size 6 stainless which seems to be strong enough for the ones I catch. The pan hooks don't last.

post-3708-1265927384_thumb.jpg

By the way, the tail scoots are not razor sharp.

Good luck to the Surgeon Brigade!!! Don't leave the wharves dirty or the Ferry's will shut us down!!

although they may not pull like a gt, the are pound for pound tougher than any king or big trev we have down here and do pull very very hard....we had locked drag on a variety of different lines one day to try get 'em up when we spotted them, locked drag or runnin no one stood a chance, in my opinion its easier to catch a kingy than a surgeon

although they may not pull like a gt, the are pound for pound tougher than any king or big trev we have down here and do pull very very hard....we had locked drag on a variety of different lines one day to try get 'em up when we spotted them, locked drag or runnin no one stood a chance, in my opinion its easier to catch a kingy than a surgeon

try some hand line ivan :P itll drag to the bone lol

handlines dont interest me lol, iv bottom bashed up north on 100lb mono lines and caught fish which ya couldnt really even feel that they were there, plus id rather enjoy a bit of a fight :1prop:

your excused then Azz lol :beersmile: punch out of work now lets go get the arvo kingy rush :1fishing1::1prop: