Surgeon Fishing

rickster

Common rickster have a bit more faith in us! By the sounds of things I should ditch my blackfish setup and bring my tiagra50 and get it spooled with wire trace....let's see who wins then! Might be heading out today to try one of your hotspots, wish me luck!

Daniel

Common rickster have a bit more faith in us! By the sounds of things I should ditch my blackfish setup and bring my tiagra50 and get it spooled with wire trace....let's see who wins then! Might be heading out today to try one of your hotspots, wish me luck!

Daniel

let us know how you go :)

Well guys headed out today, no luck on the surgeon's did manage a nice flattie cept it was sharked at the wharf, only a small one around 2ft or so. Threw a slab of fresh mullet at it but wasn't interested. Pulled up stumps when the wind picked up. Will see how I go Monday.

Daniel

Take plenty of gear then Stewy, ya gunna need it if your fishing the Peir with that gear!

Rod to long, line to light and just to many sticks there to land these fish.

Brutal combat is the only way from shore.....

Hardest part is finding a hook thats still small enough that won't straighten that you can get a decent leader threw!!!

G

Gamakatsu size 8 green panfish- landed plenty on this tied with snell. never had hooks bent or lost.

I can't believe the number of maniacs that have PM'd me for details on spots in the harbour to chase surgeons.

To hazza, vietgod, cephalod, woodchop and smitty, you guys have my deepest sympathy :wacko: I have emailed you all the same 2 "hotspots", maybe you can get in contact with each other and arrange a trip. My mate Steve and I will join you, though as he suggested, we won't actually be fishing, we'll be the ones selling the floats and laughing ourselves silly at the number of bust-ups. A lot of fishos probably aren't aware of the surgeons power and speed on those initial runs but it can be quite amazing.

get into it boys and enjoy!

whats the real name for these fish ,ive been tryin to look them up to see what they look like and all thats under SU is sunfish even the latin would be good,ive got a mate that know where they at and hes also referring to them as surgeons

whats the real name for these fish ,ive been tryin to look them up to see what they look like and all thats under SU is sunfish even the latin would be good,ive got a mate that know where they at and hes also referring to them as surgeons

Sawtail Surgeonfish

My standard blackfish rig is an old sportex 663 , 4inch Trudex centrepin 14lb tortue with yamatoyo fluro in 8lb and i use black magic G8 or G6 caddis fly hooks, this gear has landed me many sawtails no matter how heavy or light you fish the gear you use it depends if they head away or towards structure! Dad landed one a few years back going a shade under 5lbs it headed out and straight for deeper open water on 6lb trace using a 1lb test curve float rod i had brought from England, this rod can handle barbel up to 16lbs but is soft and bends through!

Sawtails i found over the years will initially take like a luderick with the steady gradual down then all of a sudden turn the burners on once they have the float about a 1 to 2 feet under! I find a chool of them will barge a school of blackies out of the way! Turning them off, regardless for size they are one of the most exhilarating fights and deserve to be rated as a top sports fish!

BTW a simple centrepin palmed properly is the best way to stop em I found more direct and more feel!

All this talk of surgeons has got me into the mood might head down during the week. Ive only got them at pier 2 where else can you get them landbased?

East of the bridge mainly a good kelp bed and plenty of structure they will hang around reefy bottoms or even sandy bottoms interspersed with kelp beds, If the blackfish are there usually there are sawtails, try around the wall near luna park! Or the wall at Taronga Zoo

Edited by luderick -angler

All this talk of surgeons has got me into the mood might head down during the week. Ive only got them at pier 2 where else can you get them landbased?

I might go down Thursday morning, 20lb fins btaid maxed drag on a 2500 tierra and a 4-8kg starlo stix

Seeing as some people don't know where to go, here is a hint. A no brainer. The Surgeon I caught on 8 or 10 pound line. Jackson caught the nice Luderick. From a while back. caught on cabbage from narrabeen beach behind pool. There nearest cabbage and weed to this spot is down by Ball's Head, take the track down to water facing Balmain/Pyrmont to the big cave rock, and look around there. That spot is also a very productive spot for Luderick.

Cheers,

Matt

post-8890-126642365831_thumb.jpg

Mmmmm interesting tread, sounds like a fishing comp is in order. Sort the men from the boys so to speaklol-045.gif

So your back, Hows china, run into any brick walls :insane:

Cant wait to see some of the gear you bought

Edited by Groper