Tuna As Bait

cameldownunder

Hi

Went out with my son (Report when I find out how to get the pics from my phone to the computer) on Sunday

We caught 2 Bonitos. I did read that they do not make good eating fish (Australian Fishing companion)

So I was wondering which table species is the most likely to hit on a tuna fillet Stripe?

Flathead? Snapper? Kingy - I would eat king- ? Salmon - Did eat salmon - ?

Please tell me also how to rig and how to pass the hook through the hook.

Thankalot already

Hi

Went out with my son (Report when I find out how to get the pics from my phone to the computer) on Sunday

We caught 2 Bonitos. I did read that they do not make good eating fish (Australian Fishing companion)

So I was wondering which table species is the most likely to hit on a tuna fillet Stripe?

Flathead? Snapper? Kingy - I would eat king- ? Salmon - Did eat salmon - ?

Please tell me also how to rig and how to pass the hook through the hook.

Thankalot already

They are awesome eating as long as you prepare it the right way soon as you catch bonnies i suggest you bleed them and put them on ice till you get home and fillet them.

bit of flour salt pepper etc.. and fry em up they are beautiful eating

personally i put em in a bit of seasame oil then put flour and fry em up in chilli/seasame oil with a dash of olive oil mixed together :)

bit of lemon over the top when cooked

Edited by DGF

They are actually pretty good on the tooth if looked after. We spike, bleed and ice the fish immediately. At home we then fillet, skin and cut the rib cage out (you dont really lose that much). Then we cut the blood line out of each fillet and either slice and then chill for sashimi (you can wrap them in moist sushi style seaweed for a few hours to give a different, smokier taste). If we cook them we usually lighlty flour and lightly fry the nice white portions of flesh and serve simply with lemon,salt, pepper to taste.

All the frames, skins, offcuts etc from the preparation get frozen for burley.

They go well as strip or cube cut baits and can be fished many ways, bigger strips on a 2 hook rig or gang hooks, strips or cubes on single hooks.

Baits can be used fresh, salted or frozen. And dont forget live if you have a small enough bonnie or big enough gear.

Sorry i dont have time to go into too much detail of rigs and techniques at the moment but im pretty sure this stuff will be on this site somewhere if someone can point him in the right direction please.

Good Luck

Hi Mate

If you dont wanna eat the Bonito i usually try to catch them at the start of a fishing trip and use them as fresh bait filleted and cut into strips. What ever bonito i have left over for the day i put salt on them then put in my Beer fridge and use them for my next fishin trip.

Just use the bonito like you would baiting up pieces of pilchard. Any fish that will eat a pilchard will eat bonito as bait too.