Boat Rod - Is It Ok?

camotec

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get a second rod for bigger fish 5-10kg and a shorter rod for use off a boat etc. I am not sure if this is a good rod or otherwise but it fitted my needs and at a clearence price of $10.00 I thought I better grab it.

Rod Details below:

Abu Garcia Muscle Tip

Pieces: 1

Model No: MT561SWM

Length: 5'6"

Line Class: 6-10kg

Anyone know of a cheap but ok Baitcast reel that would be good to learn on? I heard the bait cast rods are harder to use?

Cheers

Ben

Edited by BezTheFisherKing

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get a second rod for bigger fish 5-10kg and a shorter rod for use off a boat etc. I am not sure if this is a good rod or otherwise but it fitted my needs and at a clearence price of $10.00 I thought I better grab it. Details below:

Abu Garcia Muscle Tip

Model No: BWMT-561CAH

High Sensitivity Tip (clear solid)

Anyone know of a cheap but ok Baitcast reel that would be good to learn on? I heard the bait cast rods are harder to use?

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben :1welcomeani: If I was you I'd get hold of a good second hand Abu level wind overhead around 2 -4 kilos under the maximum line rating of your 6-12 kilo rod. For good casting purposes the Abu reel size would be near enough to what gives you best feel for the rod at it's optimum sinker size. Then you'd be practicing and starting off by at least using a very good overhead reel that you will be able to keep.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Ben

What sort of reel do you have or are you gonna buy one with the new rod?

Sorry if I offend you here but I'm gonna assume your pretty new to all this (Reading your recent posts)

There are basically two types of reel / rod setup (Two main ones, there are others but it will just add to the confusion)

One is an eggbeater, spinning reel, this is the traditional type you will know pretty well.

Then there is the baitcaster type. This reel sits on top of the rod so when you hold it in your hand the reel is above the rod. These types of reels cannot be fitted to a standard spin rod & vise versa because the seats on the rod (Bit where reel attaches) are suited to only that type of reel.

Here's a

vid that explains the baitcaster pretty well.

Check your PM's I've sent you a bit more detail. Others might have different opinions but from your location & recent posts I reackon you'd be better off sticking with spin gear for now & trying to find a nice balanced outfit that will be more versitle for you in both fresh & salt. Say a light snapper outfit or similar.

Just my opinion.

Hey Ben

What sort of reel do you have or are you gonna buy one with the new rod?

Sorry if I offend you here but I'm gonna assume your pretty new to all this (Reading your recent posts)

There are basically two types of reel / rod setup (Two main ones, there are others but it will just add to the confusion)

One is an eggbeater, spinning reel, this is the traditional type you will know pretty well.

Then there is the baitcaster type. This reel sits on top of the rod so when you hold it in your hand the reel is above the rod. These types of reels cannot be fitted to a standard spin rod & vise versa because the seats on the rod (Bit where reel attaches) are suited to only that type of reel.

Here's a

vid that explains the baitcaster pretty well.

Check your PM's I've sent you a bit more detail. Others might have different opinions but from your location & recent posts I reackon you'd be better off sticking with spin gear for now & trying to find a nice balanced outfit that will be more versitle for you in both fresh & salt. Say a light snapper outfit or similar.

Just my opinion.

Hi Boofhead,

No offence taken, I am so new to this fishing caper, Just trying to get my head around it. and get as much info from the forums as possible (been reading a lot)

Ask me anything about motors and cars and I could bore you all year long, but fishing is new to me and I will be the first to admit that I really know nothing about it.

The rod looks like a baitcast rod (compared to rods I have seen) as it has the little finger grip on it underneath and the reel mount on the opposite side (top), along with smaller guides which also run along the top which is why I was asking about baitcaster reels. (like I say I dont know much about fishing though)

Cheers & Thanks for the info

Ben

Edited by BezTheFisherKing

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get a second rod for bigger fish 5-10kg and a shorter rod for use off a boat etc. I am not sure if this is a good rod or otherwise but it fitted my needs and at a clearence price of $10.00 I thought I better grab it.

Rod Details below:

Abu Garcia Muscle Tip

Model No: MT561SWM

Cheers

Ben

Try this link out it's got really good info on what you are asking. The most important thing is the reel, get a good one, it will work the way it's suppose, to not like the cheaper types.

http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/a/baitcast.htm

Cheers

Snooze

Edited by snooze

Don't know much about the rod, but if it was only $10 even if it doesn't fit the bill then you haven't lost much. As for the reel, I have an Abu 6000 and it's very easy to cast which is what you want when you're starting out. They have different models now so have a look but I think in general they're pretty good value for money.

The problem with going for really chap gear is the quality, and in the case of a baitcaster the more expensive reels have much better cast control systems which make learning to cast them much easier. Fact is, a rubbish reel that's a pain to cast could turn you off them all together.

One last thing, use cheap mono when you're starting because chances are you'll ruin quite a bit before you get the hang of it...

Don't know much about the rod, but if it was only $10 even if it doesn't fit the bill then you haven't lost much. As for the reel, I have an Abu 6000 and it's very easy to cast which is what you want when you're starting out. They have different models now so have a look but I think in general they're pretty good value for money.

The problem with going for really chap gear is the quality, and in the case of a baitcaster the more expensive reels have much better cast control systems which make learning to cast them much easier. Fact is, a rubbish reel that's a pain to cast could turn you off them all together.

One last thing, use cheap mono when you're starting because chances are you'll ruin quite a bit before you get the hang of it...

I will be heading down to the local tackle shop to check out all of the reels so I will make it known I am new to this type of reel and want something easier to use even if it is more expensive.

I am using Super 100 12lb mono (Platypus) as my main line and Vanish leader on my reels at the moment, it casts a good distance and the sensitivity seems pretty good. but I haven't had a huge amount of time to fish as yet. (only at my local water hole)

Cheers

Ben

I will be heading down to the local tackle shop to check out all of the reels so I will make it known I am new to this type of reel and want something easier to use even if it is more expensive.

I am using Super 100 12lb mono (Platypus) as my main line and Vanish leader on my reels at the moment, it casts a good distance and the sensitivity seems pretty good. but I haven't had a huge amount of time to fish as yet. (only at my local water hole)

Cheers

Ben

If you intend to use braid then that is what you should be using because the feel will be totally different to mono and adjusting to it again is only going to frustrate you. Casting lures and soft plastics with braid is excellent, you feel so much more, and when you get enough practice you will be able to define what are snags compared to bites and so forth.

I also have an abu garcia rod matched with a shimano corvalus cv400 for about $200 when they came out, but i don't use it that much for casting but more for live baiting and floating, i think the shimano cruxis CRX200 should be a nice reel. I prefer eggbeaters for spinning.

Even the experts get birds nest so don't kick your self to hard on the back side, just keep the wind blowing at your back and cast with the wind, practice makes perfect.

Both system have their advantages/disadvantages, but it just comes down to personal preference.

There should be enough info here you to decide.

Good Luck with it.

Cheers

Snooze.

Thanks Snooze,

I will keep this rod at home this time round as I want to spend a bit on the baitcast reel that I buy and I dont really need to be worrying about how to use it when I want to catch a fish.

I went out and bought a Beach Rod today, nothing special, a Jarvis Walker Comet 12ft because I think I will catch up with Ray R while up there and the beach action is probably where its at for a decent dinner fish. It came with a 750 JW Ball bearing spinning reel included. I didn't spend much on this rod either only paying $35 reduced from $49 but I thought it would be good to have all bases covered and then depending on their use I will upgrade to better rods and reels as I talk to people and I get better.

Thanks for all the comments and advice, very much appreciated, hopefully one day I can give advice lol.

Cheers

Ben