Avoca Beach, Sunday First Time Blackfish

DGF

Hey Guys, with great weather this weekend i couldn't pass up a fishing trip to avoca on Sunday as well :) my mrs even wanted to come up unfortunately she doesn't have cleats so i wouldn't let her fish this time.

left home 10am went to local tackle shop hunting for some different coloured mack bait lures unfortunately blue was out of stock ended up with 2 different purple ones, got to avoca by roughly 1pm headed up to the spinning ledge and spotted "team bangus" :P so i introduced my self and we got fishing they were both trying for black fish at the time as they were in numbers.

i kept trying to spin for bonnies had one follow my lure up but no takes, changed colours to the redhead again first cast got a big hit set the hook and started winding and it busted me off :( lost my lucky mack bait lure :( snaped at the trace which was 60lb, had to be somthing BIG, oh well put the purple one back on and tried again arms getting all tired etc.. then bangus jr. convinced me to try get some blackies after he landed 1 nice sized blackie!

So i headed back to my car to grab some hooks etc.. got back and he had landed another! so i was keen i have never fished for blackfish before so i put on a small lil blackfish hook that i had which i used for small mullet etc.. put a lil weed that was growing on the rocks there on to the hook using my light spinning rod 3kg berkley dropshot 6'4 rod with a 2500 shimano reel within minutes i was hooked onto my first Blackfish/luderick ever!! and boy do they pull :D first one was 38cm! after a quick photo on the bragmat i was out for more after re-rigging a hook as the other was too far gone after that i had landed 4 with 2 dust offs, then tried spinning again for bonnies with no luck and went back to luderick fishing just as the sun was going down landed another 4! and wanted to go for more it was like i was addicted and it was getting really easy to catch them, got dusted off like 4 times but totaled 8 blackfish with 2 at 38cm rest 33-34cm boy were they heavy gave 1 away to some guy who wanted to try one to eat, and 3 to the bangus and son :) great fishing with you guys as well :D

pics will be uploaded when i get home tonight :)

PS. Sorry for the long report i tend to get carried away when talking about my trips

EDIT: PICS ADDED

24473_1373350138219_1365758966_1061742_1821104_n.jpg

24473_1373350178220_1365758966_1061743_705475_n.jpg

Edited by DGF

Woohoo!! WHat a day you had!! That was some awesome blackie fishing for a first timer, DGF! You'll have to get yourself a dedicated blackie rod, so that you don't have to change over from spin to blackie!

They smoke up really well, too - just take off the head & guts & smoke them whole!! Great with mashed potato & salad.

Can't wait to see the pics! Those were some good sized blackies! Shame about the bustoffs - but, don't they go!!??

They are also very nice filleted, skinned, crumbed & fried. If you do the fillet, skin & crumb, just freeze them on a flat metal tray, then bag them. You can cook them (fry in a little oil) directly from the freezer. Just like 'BirdsEye' only nicer!!!

Cheerio

Roberta