Slow Morning

jenno64

Hit the bridge area in the lower Georges yesterday morning with some large hbs and a few poddies. Things were slow and the huge tide had some serious run and lots of crap in it. Managed a 50cm soapy on a poddy and a large occy that I released. The flatties didn't want to play today.

post-4017-126733776221_thumb.jpg

I had nowhere to keep the occy as the soapy was in my fish keeper ( a length of PVC 6" pipe with end caps) My wife was spewing that I didn't bring the occy home too!

The occy would of been right at home in the pvc pipe.Tell me you didnt get it on a HB??

Hi,

Occies really creep me out!!

If i catch em i let em go and wont bring it into the boat unless someone else is handling them.

Nice soapie you got there. Seems to be heaps around at that size. Bigger ones have been hard to come by but at least its a sign that all is good and in the next few years there will be plenty of better size fish around.

Cheers

Mike

Congrats on the soapie - got on the turn of the tide?

Flatties were in good numbers where we were at Woolooware Bay on Sunday. Wonder if they get more active during big tides ...

Congrats on the soapie - got on the turn of the tide?

Flatties were in good numbers where we were at Woolooware Bay on Sunday. Wonder if they get more active during big tides ...

Pmak I got the soapy when the tide was at its quickest...what size were the flatties you got. All I have been able to manage the last couple of outings are the 20cm models. I actualy saw about 10-15 flathead lies in the sand all within about 2-3m and the size indicated they were the 20cm models.

I actualy saw about 10-15 flathead lies in the sand all within about 2-3m and the size indicated they were the 20cm models.

Hmmmm. With that many little blokes in one spot, you would have thought the odds would be good for a big female to be in close proximity. Definitely worth persevering in that spot Rob. Congrats on the little jewie, mate. That damn species STILL eludes me on lure :(

Cheers

Ian

Jenno64,

We caught heaps in the 20cm range as well. In amongst them were bigger ones in the 40+ size and a big 86cm one. Hodgey's observation might be on the mark - do the little ones hang around a big female? Maybe upsizing lures will increase your chance for a larger model. We usually fish 2" to 3" grubs so we cover whiting, bream and flathead.