Ep's And Whiting

Langa

Hi all, just finished a week off work and managed to fish 4 days in one week! I decided to use only surface lures all week, during the day I hit the flats at low tide targeting Whiting I scored 12 Whiting the largest being about 350mm, all caught on Owner Bubble Pops in clear with red face or mauve and white with red face, the darker lures didn't get a look in. I did chuck a few pencils around with no luck but I didn't persevere as I was having better success with the poppers (when your on a good thing...) I only got a couple of pics as it is hard to take photos in knee deep water with a rod tucked under 1 arm and a squirming fish in the other. I also got 1 Mullet and a few chopper Tailor, released all fish and 3 lures to the Mangroves.

The highlight of the week came on Friday night fishing a rock wall at Bobbin Head, there was no wind and the water was still with the tide running out, I was using a Sammy 55 in clear and mustard. I heard a big splash about 15m up the wall, this was not a Mullet jumping but a determined belt from below, I had just reeled in so fired of a cast in that direction which landed right in the middle of the expanding ripples, let it sit for a bit then started to retrieve, zig, zag, zig (thanks Roberta for your excellent advice)and BANG I'm connected, a really solid fish took some line and went dangerously close to a submerged pipe, but I managed to land this beautiful 40cm Estuary Perch. A quick pic and I released it and cast again, half way home and BANG I'm on again, this one went even harder but turned out to be a few cms smaller than the first. Again a pic and release, then next cast a birdsnest so I switched to my other rod with an NW pencil in soft blue and translucent white, I got a few hits but no hook ups so I untangled the first line and recast the Sammy, a couple of casts later it happens again, a much smaller model but the same explosive hit.

It was now getting late and I was happy to call it a day, again I apologize for the quality of the images, taken on the phone at night.

Cheers, Langa

post-6643-126733946205_thumb.jpg

post-6643-126733949894_thumb.jpg

post-6643-126734119491_thumb.jpg

post-6643-126734122675_thumb.jpg

post-6643-126734149993_thumb.jpg

Those are cracker whiting! Were you doing a constant retrieve with a heavy leader tied to the lure with a uni knot?

Those EPs are magical! Looks like a late evening hot bite - you may have stumbled on a special spot...

• 3 weeks later...

Those are cracker whiting! Were you doing a constant retrieve with a heavy leader tied to the lure with a uni knot?

Those EPs are magical! Looks like a late evening hot bite - you may have stumbled on a special spot...

Hi pmak sorry for late reply, yes a constant retrieve as fast as you can go with the popper still performing properly seems to do the trick, if you get a hit dont pause keep going. I use 6lb braid with 4lb leader and I use a snap lock conector to the lure (lazy)

Cheers, Langa