Fishing The Georges River With Lures

steze

Hi everyone, Ive never used any sort of lures before except for the metal ones that i spin of the rocks. I would like to know if im fishing landbased targeting bream, sand whiting in the georges river. What sort of lures (If possible) would i have to use to catch these fishes. Im very interested in using lures because i watch alot of people use it and never know myself. And when i go to my local tackle shop, there are so many lures and i got no idea which one is for which.

Thanks,

Steven

Grab yourself a few blades in the 1/8th size in gold or orange and chuck them around and you will score plenty.

Cheers Stewy

Any hard bod in a natural colour of a baitfish will work fine as well.

Grab yourself a few blades in the 1/8th size in gold or orange and chuck them around and you will score plenty.

Cheers Stewy

Any hard bod in a natural colour of a baitfish will work fine as well.

Normally I use blades but we did have some luck on the surface in some weedy shallows in the georges couple weeks back , last w-end we got most our fish on blades , out in botany . But make sure you get some blades I won't leave home without them , especially if your off the shore you can cast a blade to the northern hemisphere. Mix up your technique and get confident with the blades and the fish will come .

Good luck might see you on the georges , I live couple mins from Picnic point

Bubba

Steze,

Are you also considering soft plastics? They are worth a go for the species you want to target. YOu'll have to read through the forums or get a DVD on soft plastics fishing to get the appropriate rod, reel and braided line setup for this sort of fishing. If you already have this, then finding a suitable spot is the next challenge if you are land based. I've had some success at Carrs Park. If you time your fishing for early morning or late evening high tides, you can do quite well. I have not fished hard bodied lures or blades much there. Try 2" Gulp grubs in pumpkinseed on a #4 1.5gram or 2gram jighead with a lift and drop retrieve or a 2" Gulp worm in Camo with a jiggle retrieve and you should get some bites. Fish light leaders - say 4-6Lb and light line, say 4-6lb braid as well so you can get long casts.

Good luck ...

Good point Pmak....I recon a large percentage of fisho's that use plastics and don't have any luck, is because they just tie them onto a normal bait rig and drop over the side....in fact I was asked by a couple of blokes when I was in a tackle store last week who were going rock fishing and were thinking of just tieing on some gulp shrimp....at the end of the day you might get lucky but chances are you will score doughnuts unless you work your plastics properly...

Hi Steven

Since the seas are up this week i was thinking of fishing the Georges myself. I was gonna fish for blackfish along the rock walls at chippo lake if i can find weed tommorow. In the past ive seen blokes soft palstic fishing walkin the wall gettin the odd bream and flathead there. Give me a buzz if your interested i can come pick ya up if not tommorow maybe in the next few days

Take Care mate

Hi Steven

Since the seas are up this week i was thinking of fishing the Georges myself. I was gonna fish for blackfish along the rock walls at chippo lake if i can find weed tommorow. In the past ive seen blokes soft palstic fishing walkin the wall gettin the odd bream and flathead there. Give me a buzz if your interested i can come pick ya up if not tommorow maybe in the next few days

Take Care mate

G'day Victor, I havent been able to fish lately as UNI has started :( . Im dreading it. But i will call you if i can go.

Thank you everyone for the info, However is it a must to use braid when fishing with lures ( well for this type of fishing), I understand that it is much more comfortable in regards to casting etc, But what if im using mono. Would that be ok as well? In regards to spots, I usually fish at east hills ( Just of the wharf). The current there is quite strong so im not too sure if lures would be appropriate. But i usually use bloodworms there and catch some breams and big whitings.

Hi Pmak, Thanks also for your reccomendations, But "#4 1.5gram or 2gram jighead with a lift and drop retrieve or a 2" Gulp worm in Camo with a jiggle retrieve and you should get some bites" makes no sense to me. Sorry mate im not that famaliar with these terms.

Also when you refer to blades, does that refer to hard body lures? I think im more confused now. haha.

Hi Pmak, Thanks also for your reccomendations, But "#4 1.5gram or 2gram jighead with a lift and drop retrieve or a 2" Gulp worm in Camo with a jiggle retrieve and you should get some bites" makes no sense to me. Sorry mate im not that famaliar with these terms.

Also when you refer to blades, does that refer to hard body lures? I think im more confused now. haha.

#4 is the hook size, 1.5gram or 2gram is the suggested jig head weight. When you purchase packets of jigheads, they will have this information listed on the packaging. Jig head weights will be listed in wither ounces or grams. If you purchase a packet of Berkley jigheads you will find a conversion table printed in the back of the packet that will help you out.

So... Pmak is suggesting you use a 1.5/2gram jighead, with a #4 hook, 'baited' with a 2" soft plastic (with a curly tail) in 'camouflage' color pattern. Lift and drop retrieve is what it sounds like. Allow the lure to hit the bottom, lift the rod tip roughly 1-3' and let the lures swim back down to the bottom. A jiggle retrieve is a seies of short erratic rod-tip movements that impart a 'frantic' action into the lure.

This is a selection of blades:

post-3198-12675630071_thumb.jpg

Generally speaking they are either metal or metal/plastic hybrid lure.

Cheers

Hodgey

#4 is the hook size, 1.5gram or 2gram is the suggested jig head weight. When you purchase packets of jigheads, they will have this information listed on the packaging. Jig head weights will be listed in wither ounces or grams. If you purchase a packet of Berkley jigheads you will find a conversion table printed in the back of the packet that will help you out.

So... Pmak is suggesting you use a 1.5/2gram jighead, with a #4 hook, 'baited' with a 2" soft plastic (with a curly tail) in 'camouflage' color pattern. Lift and drop retrieve is what it sounds like. Allow the lure to hit the bottom, lift the rod tip roughly 1-3' and let the lures swim back down to the bottom. A jiggle retrieve is a seies of short erratic rod-tip movements that impart a 'frantic' action into the lure.

This is a selection of blades:

post-3198-12675630071_thumb.jpg

Generally speaking they are either metal or metal/plastic hybrid lure.

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks Hodgey, I went out to+_+_) today and saw those berkely jigheads you were mentioning about. And i also got a chance to look at the blades. They cost about 8.45 per lure and the jigheads are about 4-5 buks from my memory. Im gonna maybe get some next weekend and try it out. Thanks everyone for the info, its been great help

Edited by steze

Steze,

I'd strongly suggest that you get a DVD about fishing with soft plastics. Most tackle stores will have a selection - some may even have some sample/promo DVDs that you can score for free. All the jargon will be explained plus you get to see how soft plastics or hardbodied lures can be worked to get you onto some good fish.

Thanks too Hodgey for expanding on my explanations.

To be really serious about this sort of fishing, you really need to get the right rod, reel and line. The DVDs should be able to explain. My last tip will be that you really need to find a location that you can cover ground. Fishing with lures is like 'hunting' for fish where you need to go to where the fish are and fool them into taking your lure as opposed to bait fishing where the fish catch on to the scent of the bait and swim to the bait to take it.

Once again, good luck ...