Fine Tolerances And Modern Spin Reels

You may have seen my Daiwa Sol 2000 post...

After getting my Sol back from the guy that was supposed to fix it after my wife sent it swimming, I was very frustrated by the fact it wasn't quite 100% right. Why oh why didn't I strip it down myself (I got stuck, that's why!!)

Anyway, I've been battling gear noise since getting it back. I must have stripped and rebuilt the reel 30 times replacing bearings and making little adjustments. Finally I've tracked the problem. Among other screw ups from 'the guy' (note to self... NEVER AGAIN!) a couple of bearing washers went missing. These little washers minutely adjust the position of the left side bearing and how it engages the drive gear.

After playing with lots of washers (not having any of the originals) I stripped down my other 2000 Sol and found that there's not 1 washer but 4... each only about 0.06mm thick... yep, 6/100ths of a mm. Total thickness of the set was 0.25mm. The washer that I'd settled on in the 'damaged' reel when measured was 0.20mm and while a lot better, there was still noticeable gear vibration.

So playing around with some brass sheet I made a made a washer each from 0.03mm and 0.06mm brass. The .03mm washer went in too, to make a total stack of 0.23mm... better but not perfect. The .06mm washer was swapped with the 0.03 to make a total of 0.26mm... much better but not quite perfect. At 0.30mm (with other washer combos) the rattle was back big time. So I've stopped frigging around and have ordered a handful of the original washers.

'So what?' you might ask. Think about it... this means that .03mm made all the difference between the reel working nearly perfectly and being obviously imperfect (to me at least). That's a tiny difference. :1yikes: If you pull a reel apart make TOTALLY sure you put back everything exactly where you found it... I've got a rattle I've created in one of Jewhunter's reels I need to sort out after solving some other problems :1badmood:

The more I love these high-tech modern reels, the more I hate them. :biggrin2: There's a lot to be said for Penn Spinfishers and Abu C-series baitcasters.

Mind you, next time you see me on the water I'll more than likely have a Stradic, Sol or Fireblood in my hand.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinky ,

I have an unopened and never played around with daiwa sol 2000 that you can open up inspect and measure , maybe give it a service :biggrin2: if that would help you out in any way . Im sure that all the daiwa sols should come out of the factory with the same clearences . Pulling apart the reel 30 plus times must have had you pulling your hair out let alone the sleepless nights. One thing i have learned is just because the guy is qualified or so called expert untill you get the item back better than what it was is where my judgement starts...

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John... :beersmile:

WOW!

To think that you paid someone to do that to your reel! :1yikes:

I think you better have him over to your place to teach him a thing or three mate.

In today's modern reels there are sooooo many little things you can miss.

However, i'd think that after your "expert" put the reel back together he would wonder why there were washers left over! :thumbdown:

There may be a slight rattle in one of my reels mate, but the way they work after the condition they were in before you got them I wouldn't trust my reels with anyone else! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Slinky It looks like you're fast becoming the right man for me to send a couple of my reels to that need checking out and might even need to be tweeked up Slinky style :thumbup:

Just thinking Tony, it would be interesting if you ever have a chance of comparing part for part the new Penn Spinfisher SSM models with the original U.S. made Spinfisher SS reels and see what improvements have been made if any to the SSM model, as the price for Australia has dropped quite a lot since Penn moved the plant into Asia, and the value in the original SS Spinfishers is certainly still there even at the price you would have to pay to get hold of a new one.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: