Yellowfin In Port Hacking

Berleyguts

In the fishing column of today's Daily Telegraph, it is reported that yellowfin tuna to 23kg are being caught in the South West Arm of Port Hacking on live baits.

Have any Raiders caught any of these?

About 15 years ago, there were some yellowfin in the SW Arm and I had one around my 10ft punt, taking pillies and live yakkas/slimies practically out of my hand - but not once I put a hook in. ranting2.gif (I don't know what I was going to do if I hooked up on 4kg having rowed the punt over - cut the anchor rope and hang on I guess! 1yikes.gif ). No-one at the Club believed me until a noted game fisho and writer (member) said they'd been getting them on 24kg game gear!)

That season, there were some unusual catches in the Port I recall, including a spangled emporer I caught. I think there were some particularly warm currents and I wonder if this is a cyclic thing(???).

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

A very good friend and very good fisho told me about the capture in the Hacking. It is his mate that has caught this in the Hacking and my mate has seen the pics of it. I too know that sometime ago there were Yellowfin caught in the hacking and this year in particular we have have very warm currents in the river. I thinking that it was caught in the hacking

Happy hunting

heard the story as well i would doubt it was south west arm as there hasnt been the bait fish there like last year there has been pillies jumping around late after noons around deeper waters out the from of gymea thats were id say it would of been caught...

heard the story as well i would doubt it was south west arm as there hasnt been the bait fish there like last year there has been pillies jumping around late after noons around deeper waters out the from of gymea thats were id say it would of been caught...

A work colleague lives on the Port and says there are a lot of slimies about (not necessarily in SW Arm) but he has a friend who owns a dive and tackle shop and customers have reported getting fin in the Arm.

I'd still like to hear a first hand report (can't get out there myself at the moment). No doubt, someone will read the Tele and this forum and get out there - so I imagine they won't be there for long!

Baz

Baz,

Are you sure there isn't some of that funny green stuff still comin out the air conditioning of your combi from the 60's....Fin in the Port??? Maybe the Odd massive random king but I haven't heard of Fin.....

A very good friend and very good fisho told me about the capture in the Hacking. It is his mate that has caught this in the Hacking and my mate has seen the pics of it. I too know that sometime ago there were Yellowfin caught in the hacking and this year in particular we have have very warm currents in the river. I thinking that it was caught in the hacking

Happy hunting

i had a mate like that, his mate woke up in a hotel in the phillipines in a bath of ice with a sore back and there was a note on the wall and it said. . .

has anybody ever heard of fin being spotted in the harbour?

Had 3 fish to 1m darting around a wharf in the eastern suburbs this afternoon that i can only identify from ID charts as yellowfin... could be another tuna but a distinct blue back with yellowstripe and black tail.. are there other tuna that go by this description?

Baz,

Are you sure there isn't some of that funny green stuff still comin out the air conditioning of your combi from the 60's....Fin in the Port??? Maybe the Odd massive random king but I haven't heard of Fin.....

Air conditioning? What's that? wacko.gif

There were definitely fin in the SW Arm about 15 years ago. I could almost touch the one that was around my 10ft punt that time - it kept showering me with water as it devoured the pillies and yakkas I was dropping over the side. John Ashley reported getting a few back then.

I'm still only hearing 2nd-hand reports this time round though, so would like to hear from someone who's seen them recently... since I couldn't get down there on the weekend myself....

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

has anybody ever heard of fin being spotted in the harbour?

Had 3 fish to 1m darting around a wharf in the eastern suburbs this afternoon that i can only identify from ID charts as yellowfin... could be another tuna but a distinct blue back with yellowstripe and black tail.. are there other tuna that go by this description?

Ive heard of a couple taken off north head landbased a few years ago, pretty unusual though

A mate of mine rang me in a panic last week pumped about fin, i called bullshit

I am with you on that ,Cheder thumbdown.gif

Admin

Avoca seems to be gettin ready for some fin's :P and im pretty sure i hooked up on one on friday (its in the reports) either way i couldnt stop it :( peeling 10kg of drag as if i had it on free spool i only got a glimpse of it at one stage

Baz,

:074::074::074::074: That was pure gold.

Bubba :074:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Could the Longtails have by-passed the North Coast and landed down here in our waterway's??

My thoughts to but with 200 boats up at port for the last 3 weeks ya recon some would have been caught on the way through.....

me & mate josh fishd the arm lb sunday,no fin but plenty mack tuna around,josh got 1 & pulled the hooks on one,on small metals.cut the mack up to use for bait & 1st cast josh is onto something solid.awesome fight to watch on his tcurve but rubbed him off on the front ledge where it drops off into the chanel after a few mins.i called it for a solid king[70cm+].who knows,couldv been a fin???? :biggrin2::074::074: what you rekon josh????

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

me & mate josh fishd the arm lb sunday,no fin but plenty mack tuna around,josh got 1 & pulled the hooks on one,on small metals.cut the mack up to use for bait & 1st cast josh is onto something solid.awesome fight to watch on his tcurve but rubbed him off on the front ledge where it drops off into the chanel after a few mins.i called it for a solid king[70cm+].who knows,couldv been a fin???? :biggrin2::074::074: what you rekon josh????

Tell you what Johnny you and Josh might get the shock of your lives running a yakka or a slimie up there near the ranger's one day. Some fishos are happy to include bonito and stripies in their take homes whereas others have game rods rigged up ready to run a bonito or a stripie off National Park as soon they find the school .. When there's a lot of bait in there all you would need is a burst of hot water shifting in close, which land based game fisherman hope for.. I don't know about the marlins and yellow fin, but if they go into an estuary they might have an inbuilt fear about being beached. But I'm not joking mate you're likely to get hit by a school of reef hoodlum, cobia, and even wahoo,or spanyiards.. The same fish that land based game fishermen will be fishing for off a rock platform somewhere along the coast even tomorrow morning and some of these fishermen carry back packs that have a sleeve in the top for a yellow fin's tail.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Well, I know what I saw in South West Arm in the early 90s and it was a 40lb plus yellowfin... so, I know they go in there if the conditions are right! I wouldn't rule them out again... ;) But I reckon if people are getting them, they're going to keep the news to themselves...

Baz

Tell you what Johnny you and Josh might get the shock of your lives running a yakka or a slimie up there near the ranger's one day. Some fishos are happy to include bonito and stripies in their take homes whereas others have game rods rigged up ready to run a bonito or a stripie off National Park as soon they find the school .. When there's a lot of bait in there all you would need is a burst of hot water shifting in close, which land based game fisherman hope for.. I don't know about the marlins and yellow fin, but if they go into an estuary they might have an inbuilt fear about being beached. But I'm not joking mate you're likely to get hit by a school of reef hoodlum, cobia, and even wahoo,or spanyiards.. The same fish that land based game fishermen will be fishing for off a rock platform somewhere along the coast even tomorrow morning and some of these fishermen carry back packs that have a sleeve in the top for a yellow fin's tail.

Cheers

we heard about the fin being caught in there so josh brang a 50lb spin outfit incase we did hook up to something big,we might have stood a chance.we did run live slimys & yakkas but no hookups.i had a large yakka out & it got taken.couple second run then dropped it.when i checked it,almost half of it was gone,bitten in half in 1 chomp & missed the hook pinned just behind the 1st dorsal fin on the yakka.spewing i didnt rig it on a 2 hook rig.oh well,we'l be ready nxt time.would love a hoo,spanish or a cobe.we have got spangled emperor & estuary cod,so you never know,like you said byron,if those warm currents push up the river & theres enough bait around,anythings possible.mayb a beakie.lol :074::074:

Well, I know what I saw in South West Arm in the early 90s and it was a 40lb plus yellowfin... so, I know they go in there if the conditions are right! I wouldn't rule them out again... ;) But I reckon if people are getting them, they're going to keep the news to themselves...

Baz

Barry from what you saw there's something suggestive of an occurrence like that happening. Although it's not a subject that I like to buy into, there is something that no other part of Sydney has to the same extent I believe not even Botany Bay or the harbour side and that is the connection with the currents and national park. One of the game boat members might like to elaborate on that and one of my relatives who fished from the peak to greenwell point should know about it anyway.

Cheers

My thoughts to but with 200 boats up at port for the last 3 weeks ya recon some would have been caught on the way through.....

The only time the Marlin fishermen catch Longtails is when they are busting up around the marina up there and someone is quickly out with a popper.

When you guys get me a picture of a Yeti I will re-open this post.

There was a fin caught many,many trs ago in the Hacking and to my knowledge that was a very rare if not 1 off occurrence.

BLAH BLAH BLAH Urban myths biggrin2.gif

Regards Admin