Port Hacking Landbased

someguy2k

Went for a quick fish this morning with some bread and handlines, managed to score a legal trevally and bream.

breads been working well on the fish in the hacking :thumbup: Got myself 5 on friday all very nice size too

I find there are a few ways to fish bread, either floated on the top with some floating burley or left to sink unweighted slowly in conjunction with sinking bread burley. I find fresh white bread the easiest to use because it doesn't crumble as easy as wholemeal, just get the cheapest white bread you can get. Also make sure to keep it in the bag otherwise it will dry up and turn into toast in the summer sun.

Get a small hook, I often get bream when i go for baitfish with size 12 blackfish hooks, although the bright green of those hooks is abit too conspicuous for the wary bream, you can hide most of the hook with the bread. Match the portion of bread you use with the size of the hook, i use small hooks so usually only pieces of bread which are about 6mmx6mm.

Burley is the key, to have floating burley, just rip the dry bread into little pieces and drop it in the water. You can try a fine mist but i prefer very small chunks about the size of your bait watever you decide. To have sinking burley, dip the bread in water, preferably in a bucket and mash it up in your hands. Again you can make it into a mist of milky water and pour that in or have small fluffy wet chunks. Experiment.

If you want it to float, slightly compress one side of the bread so it goes though the hook easier but try to leave most of it fluffy, then thread the other side so the bait covers most of the hook. You are meant to leave the hook point exposed but with bread it is possible to strike through the bread (as its so soft) so that the hook finds its mark in mouth of the fish but if you are not getting hookups then make sure you expose the hook point. I find floating the bread burley and bait out on top much more exciting to fish as you see the fish rise and splash on the surface however, its not the most effective. Sometimes fish will be too scared to rise to the surface and only do so several meters from where you're fishing, if that's the case, you can use a small float to give you some casting distance to increase from the 1m cast you will get with unweighted bread. Hopefully there is abit of current to make the burley float some small distance away, make sure you cast into your burley trail and let the fish find your bait amongst it. Fish with a loose line so that the line doesn't stop the bait from floating with the burley in the current. I find mullet, blackfish and to a lesser extent bream will happily respond to this way of fishing bread, kind of filters out the yakkas and other baitfish. Good method if there is lots of rubbish fish around.

If you want the bread to sink, just compress it abit more than before but keep it dry, I still like to have some of it fluffy. I like to make a tear drop kinda shape as it hides the hook well. Slowly feed out the bread bait into your burley trail with line in free spool and wait for the run of a fish before you flick the bail over and strike. Bigger bream usually take the bread when it begins to disappear just out of sight but sometimes they are bolder and come right up infront of you. Polarised sunnies help to spot the fish.

If you want the bread to sink faster still, compress the bread eveeeen more, but i find the slower it sinks the more natural it looks and fish hit the bread with no reserve. Your bait should sink faster than the burley as it has the added weight of the hook itself so no need to make it sink faster I reckon.

Whatever the method, I stare at my bait with a hawk eye. If the fish are not super finiky you don't need to strike immediately but make sure when they run with the bait that there is absolutely no tension on the line until you strike. Your choice as to how long to let the fish run.

Monch

Edited by monch