Plague Of Pan Sized Flatties

Bassboy888 and I set out this morning for a surface season after bream on the Georges River and Woolooware Bay. We first started at the sand flats on the junction of Georges River and Woronora River at first light. There was bait being chased all over the flats :biggrin2: so we gave the surface lures a crack.... we had 45 minutes of many strikes and misses by bream and small tailor. Unfortunately we had no hookups :( and just on the tide change we decided to move into Botany Bay. Our first stop was Woolooware Bay. By then the wind was starting to gather strength and we fished the Oyster Leases on the eastern bank of the Bay. Before the wind got too bad we tried surface lures and I after a couple of missed strikes by bream and swarms of small tailor I got a big surface strike in one foot of water. I immediately felt the familar head shakes of a flattie. A brief but exciting fight in shallow water and I netted our first decent fish of the morning - this 39cm flattie.

post-12960-126795677263_thumb.jpg

We continued to persist with the surface lures with a number of missed strikes and small tailor until the tide turn. The wind continued to worsen so we switched to SP Blades and HBs across the sand flats and the drop offs into the weeds. This change brought immediate success with this 55cm flattie taking the MF40 on the first lift.

post-12960-126795711536_thumb.jpg

For the next hour we caught released over ten flatties including another 55cm model and a 49 cm flattie.

post-12960-126795815019_thumb.jpg

post-12960-1267958269_thumb.jpg

Bassboy888 caught the largest of the day with a 58cm flattie being taken from amongst the oyster leases. :bump0ee:

post-12960-126795866039_thumb.jpg

By 1130am the wind was becoming too strong, even in the lee of the eastern shoreline of Woolooware Bay and we headed home. During our run home we stopped briefly at some pontoons in the Wooronora to try again for a decent bream...... we cast blades at the pontoons and you guessed it another flattie (49cm model).

post-12960-126795873438_thumb.jpg

At the end of the session we failed to catch a decent bream, however the by catch of over a dozen nice flatties (all released) was entertaining :biggrin2:

Saw you guys close to the mouth of the bay on our way out yesterday. We were trolling hardbodies and also made a half hearted attempt to fish the drop-off close to where you were. The wind was making things very difficult and it was getting crowded there so we pulled stumps and headed back. We were at the bay just after sunrise for some surface luring - got the usual follows, rises and missed strikes. Nothing stuck except for a long tom! Soft plastics were more productive and got us a handful of just legal bream. No big ones today. Similar to last week, there were heaps of 30-40cm flatties. Glad to hear you had a good session.