Home Made Lure Sucess!

Hey guys

Went out to botany both saturday and sunday arvo's for a couple of hours each time just to try some new areas and kill some time

Saturday was really slow fished wide off the the last of the groins for not too much action, i did land a few trevs and 1 keeper bream on the last cast but other than pickers and another bust off on a popper there was no love at all and the wind was so annoying!all fish were released that day so sorry no pics :(

Sunday almost didnt happen and when we arrived at the boat ramp i reluctantly launched as it was windy as hell. Finally made our way past captian cook bridge but the wind swell made it difficult to keep dry so we just driffted in between dolls point and the bridge. Spent about an hour chucking different colour plastics for one keeper bream for my mate (and his fisrt on lures) :biggrin2:

For the life of me i couldnt catch a thing so i decided to test out a vibe i have been making at work and things all changed :thumbup: fisrt cast and a small bream hits the lure so a quick pic and back in, then 2 nice sized bream in a row! Not a bad way to see if it works and i didnt even get the chance to paint the lure the usual colours that has worked for me in the past in botany.

got into a couple more smaller bream and a nice whiting that i dropped at the boat then a found a few squid which was a welcomed supprise

Caught one more keeper bream then called it quits cause the constant chop finally got to my mate

Not a bad result for my new invention and after loosing so much brand name ones it should work out alot cheaper for now on :thumbup: Its i think 42mm and very light the fish range from 28-31cm

First on the new lure

2hzcc4.jpg

End result

j16ats.jpg

Thanks for reading guys

That is a great result....obviously your lure is not too light to be able to be used in that terrible wind on Sunday. I got soaked travelling from Woolooware Bay back into the Georges River at about 12pm, so you must have worked hard in the chop to get what you did on Sunday. The homemade lure looks awesome and I look forward to reading future posts from you regarding their performance!! :biggrin2:

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

I actually didnt know weather to keep using it or not as it was the only one of that style that i made, if i had lost it i would of been so pissed lol but im glad i stuck to it.

i would of been happy with just a hit considering the conditions. once i have got them sorted out ill give a couple to you guys to test for your self's

We have a laser cutter at work so i could have 50 bodys cut in no time just got to find all the snaps and rings and hooks at a good price.

Iceman....

Im still not sure on weight as of yet but ill find out soon. but they are alot lighter than the damiki's in the same sort of length

Thanks again guys

Pete

Dont worry about hooks rings or snaps Pete we can put them on :biggrin2:

Likewise Pete. Would love to give a couple a swim down here. I would be more than happy to supply the 'hardware' for them. Can even look at painting them if you like! ;)

Cheers

Ian

That lure looks the goods! What material are you using and how did you get the thickened part at the front where the weight is? Two parts stuck together or one piece cut down?

Would love to see different coloured versions. With some spray cans and glossy metallic nail polish you can get the lure to look pretty slick. Limited editions, Botany Bay special, etc. Can see a DIY lure thread developing here...

Now that's cool sh1t to do it on a home grown lure!

What do you think of trying a 90mm blade but a light one?

Been looking for something like the Jazz Bokun's but the 30gm sinks to fast for the shallow grounds but the size is right.....

Trying to find a big casting blade that will suit jews and reds for the shallow reefs.....

Greg

Cheers guys

Well they are made from 304 stainless steel and in 3 pieces welded so yeah i can weld pretty thin crap :biggrin2: , i was thinking of using lead for the weight part and it would of been alot easyer to make and to get it looking all 3D but after looking at some fisheries articles i thought the more Eco friendly the better.

With the 304 it still has real good corrosion resistance but its still not marine grade 316 so if you loose one it will break down after a while.

Hodgey/Iceman.....

Yeah for sure ill send a few down in a couple of weeks when i get them sorted, they will look alot better when they have been laser cut as i did that one by hand with a 5 inch grinder and linisher :yahoo: so the lines will be alot smoother and more life like. i bought some powder paint so it will hopefully look semi professional

anyways guys another poor quality pic from me

i3tdav.jpg

thats just awesome mate.i wouldnt even know where to start when it comes to making lures.lol.you must be really satisfied knowing it produced the goods.

have you made any larger sizes for the likes of jew,reds & kings?well done mate,il be keeping a eye out for your future lure posts/updates.hope to see some impressive fish caught on your blades. :thumbup:

cheers johnny. :beersmile:

Well done on your DIY blades, Pete!!! The bream like them, so that is the main thing! I can see many excited FRs frothing at the mouth at the possibility of trying them out on their home grounds!!

Looking forward to your next successful report!!

Cheerio

Roberta