Hand Feeding Bream

Not really a fishing report but oh well.

On the way home from school stopped at Birkenhead Point to go for a walk around the mariners and water. Some very nice looking boat there, then i saw a big school of bream, feeding off the mariner, ran up to coles and got some cheap bread and came back down to the same spot, but it seemed like the school swam away. I continued walking around trying to find some bream, found another school, smaller, but bigger fish with the odd big luderick hanging around the school.

Anyway, threw some peices of bream on the surface along with some peices sinking down. Then the school went crazy, into a feeding frenzy, smashing every peice of bread that hit the water, had a good look at some the bream, and even saw what looked like a 50cm+ bream and a even bigger luderick. Contined burleying and the school got bigger and bigger, then thought if i could hand feed them??

So got a long peice of bread dipped it in, a average sized bream came up, had a look, then swam away

I contined burleying then a nice, probaly 35cm, bream smashed the bread out of my hands and even gave me a free shower lol

Stayed for about 15 more minutes, hand feeding for and more bream, what a experience, probaly only way it can get better is hand feeding kings at Lord Howe Island.

Cheers, Zac

Not really a fishing report but oh well.

On the way home from school stopped at Birkenhead Point to go for a walk around the mariners and water. Some very nice looking boat there, then i saw a big school of bream, feeding off the mariner, ran up to coles and got some cheap bread and came back down to the same spot, but it seemed like the school swam away. I continued walking around trying to find some bream, found another school, smaller, but bigger fish with the odd big luderick hanging around the school.

Anyway, threw some peices of bream on the surface along with some peices sinking down. Then the school went crazy, into a feeding frenzy, smashing every peice of bread that hit the water, had a good look at some the bream, and even saw what looked like a 50cm+ bream and a even bigger luderick. Contined burleying and the school got bigger and bigger, then thought if i could hand feed them??

So got a long peice of bread dipped it in, a average sized bream came up, had a look, then swam away

I contined burleying then a nice, probaly 35cm, bream smashed the bread out of my hands and even gave me a free shower lol

Stayed for about 15 more minutes, hand feeding for and more bream, what a experience, probaly only way it can get better is hand feeding kings at Lord Howe Island.

Cheers, Zac

u need a hooks on ur hand and u can have a 50+cm bream for the dinner mate.

cheers

Yep, I know the place well.

I used to live up the road from there when I was a kid. I remember when it was the old Dunlop tyre factory site & when they built Birkenhead.

Jeez, now I feel old! :1badmood:

For quite a few years after it opened you could fish anywhere, marinas & all, around there.

I have many great fishing memories from that area. It's where I learnt to fish.

My all time P.B bream came from under the old museum ship marina. Went 4.8 lbs caught on a 20lb handline on an unweighted bloodworm drifted down a pole at night. I went up to 20lb handlines because I was sick of getting dusted on the poles. Bag limit catches of really good bream were the norm most nights fishing that way.

Ahhh, the memories! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

u need a hooks on ur hand and u can have a 50+cm bream for the dinner mate.

cheers

Bream for dinner, sorry mate wouldnt touch a bream for dinner

Yep, I know the place well.

I used to live up the road from there when I was a kid. I remember when it was the old Dunlop tyre factory site & when they built Birkenhead.

Jeez, now I feel old! :1badmood:

For quite a few years after it opened you could fish anywhere, marinas & all, around there.

I have many great fishing memories from that area. It's where I learnt to fish.

My all time P.B bream came from under the old museum ship marina. Went 4.8 lbs caught on a 20lb handline on an unweighted bloodworm drifted down a pole at night. I went up to 20lb handlines because I was sick of getting dusted on the poles. Bag limit catches of really good bream were the norm most nights fishing that way.

Ahhh, the memories! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

I sneek a handline in every now and again, 20lb main 30lb leader and they still brick me lol :05:

Think i need to hang on and and stay on.

Yer, i remember a guy use to live around there to and told me about the factory and stuff

Thats Awesome mate!

We just got a 56" Riv down at birkenhead point, gonna go down this weekend to see the new baby...enclosed flybridge with electronic outriggers! Ohh ye!

Will bring some bread with

maybe one day you can take me out with you :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Good job

Cheers, Zac

hi guys,

is birkenhead point near the drummoyne sailing club???the place near the bridge that is having some construction stuff done under it?& on the oppisite side is the balmain art college?if thats the place,i fish there[going into the art college entrance off balmain rd].always get flattys,bream & chopper tailor there.have tried for jew there but no luck.last time i was there,2wks ago,i met a local that was fishing there also.i asked him has he got jew there & he showed me pic on his mobile of 8 school jew to 8kgs he caught there since january.not 2mins later he lands a 6kg model on fresh tailor slab.i had fresh caught squid out & was a bit jealous to be honest.it was the middle of the day with a 1.30pm low,the fish was caught around 2pm.

at least i now know first hand jew are there so im gona try my luck this week[weather permitting] with fresh slimys i caught along with a couple other fresh baits i catch.

also,can someone tell me what waterway this area is please.i tell my mates it lane cove river,im i correct???any confirmation would be much appreciated.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Same is happening at Manly Wharf atm. I get a muffin from Aldi and go chuck a bit in the water and the Bream go mental. Some of them are huge. But fishing got banned at the wharf years ago. Its' really frustrating because as a kid I used to fish from the same spots I can only feed the fish now!!!

Went down and tossed soft plastics towards one school from the little beach next to the restaurants where the net pool is. Unfortunately even with burley from the beach I couldn't get the Bream interested.

:05:

Cheers, Zac

Feeding fish can be a lot of fun , in Forster I would come home from school and go to the wharf in the backyard and feed them reguarly bream whiting gars , it's really interesting to watch them , would love to have a crack at hand feeding kings that would be awsome to see got to get up to Lord Howe. On a trip to Bathurst Island We got to feed Catfish the skipper called them Super Cats as they were around 80 to 150 lb , we were throwing big mud crab shells cut into quarters and they swallowed them up like lollies , then we put a frames from black jew on a rope and the cod would come up and wrestle you for it and they were 400lb or more . Once at Weipa I tied a big spanish frame onto a rope and held it off the transome while sharks came up and tore it to bits that was pretty exciting as well . Would love to see someone attemp to hand Feed a potato cod , that would take some guts .

Bubba