Outfitting A Tinny

camotec

Hi guys,

I am doing up my new old boat and I would like to put in a false floor and put covers over the fuel tank and esky etc. but I would like to know if and where I might be able to purchase lockable lid and insert sets so if I cut a hole in the plywood cover the insert can me bolted to the ply and then the lid will click in and can be locked? I have seen fibreglass boats with this style of lid and insert but was not sure if it is something that could be purchased and fitted myself.

My goal is to have a false floor over the fueltank and use a lid to refuel etc and then I could remove the floor section if I need to replace or remove the tank. but have it all hidden away when in use which will allow me to put tackle boxes and the like on top.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bez

Hi guys,

I am doing up my new old boat and I would like to put in a false floor and put covers over the fuel tank and esky etc. but I would like to know if and where I might be able to purchase lockable lid and insert sets so if I cut a hole in the plywood cover the insert can me bolted to the ply and then the lid will click in and can be locked? I have seen fibreglass boats with this style of lid and insert but was not sure if it is something that could be purchased and fitted myself.

My goal is to have a false floor over the fueltank and use a lid to refuel etc and then I could remove the floor section if I need to replace or remove the tank. but have it all hidden away when in use which will allow me to put tackle boxes and the like on top.

Cheers

Ben

G'day Ben

I'm no expert, but I would suggest a company called Whitworths at Mona Vale ( they have other branches also), they are a bit like the bunnings of boating, soooooo much stuff in there. They probably have a website , look it up

cheers

Edited by hookmeup

G'day Ben

I'm no expert, but I would suggest a company called Whitworths at Mona Vale ( they have other branches also), they are a bit like the bunnings of boating, soooooo much stuff in there. They probably have a website , look it up

cheers

Hey Ben, that is a only a small boat and I found that the less you put in as permanent fixture the better.

I had a couple of small light weight wooden boxes in mine and they went in and out of the boat, I even had

an esky which fitted sideways neatly and it doubled as a seat between the thwarts, try things out and try

not to overdo the permanent build-ins.. :thumbup:

Thanks Ray,

I think I will definetly not worry about putting a whole heap of stuff in. The esky I have is a perfect fit between the last seat and the back of the boat. So I have now commendered the family esky for my boat lol. but I would still like to cover the fuel tank or can they be fitted under one of the rear bench seats?

I might just get some marine carpet for the center floor so it looks nice and clean. I am going to buy a couple of padded swivel seats to go on the bench seats to make the long days sitting a little more comfortable. and for $100 each, I am keen to grab em.

seat.jpg

I am going to mount the fish finder under the front cover at the front of the boat to keep it out of the weather which is why I was looking at storage for the anchor and life jackets.

Being a 6hp Johnson motor I realise I need to keep weight down to help the economy and speed up of the boat.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bez

Bez

Mate before you go fixing things around your fuel tanks check this post out. Its recommended that you refuel out of the boat on the ground, building your tanks in might not be your best option. Athestetically (SP?) it is unsightly I know, but the old saying "Beauty knows no pain" could come adrift when you're 50 feet in the air with your bollocks ablaze from a fuel explosion biggrin2.gif

Fuel Tank Post

Edited by Boofhead

Bez

Mate before you go fixing things around your fuel tanks check this post out. Its recommended that you refuel out of the boat on the ground, building your tanks in might not be your best option. Athestetically (SP?) it is unsightly I know, but the old saying "Beauty knows no pain" could come adrift when you're 50 feet in the air with your bollocks ablaze from a fuel explosion biggrin2.gif

Fuel Tank Post

Absolutly Boof, never refill in the boat, one more thing to Ben, cause I was in my little tinny's by myself alot, I used a 2 foot length of pvc pipe to control the tiller, meant I was able to position myself more to the centre of the boat instead of having all my weight down the end, it wedged perfectly over the throttle arm so I still had control of speed, not that there was much in the first place, I had a 6hp, 2x 9.9hp's and a 5hp all tillers..

Absolutly Boof, never refill in the boat, one more thing to Ben, cause I was in my little tinny's by myself alot, I used a 2 foot length of pvc pipe to control the tiller, meant I was able to position myself more to the centre of the boat instead of having all my weight down the end, it wedged perfectly over the throttle arm so I still had control of speed, not that there was much in the first place, I had a 6hp, 2x 9.9hp's and a 5hp all tillers..

Thanks Guys, the guy I bought the boat from also recommended to do this too. I will measure and grab something from bunnings this evening.

I will leave the fuel tank alone and just pull it out to refuel to make sure I am earthed.

It sounds like I am saving some money then lol. Ah I am getting those nice seats and clamp on seat swivels to allow me to easily remove them for storage and keeping them out of the weather.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bez

Thanks Hodgey! I will definetly have a blast.

Just have to work out on the go of how to get the boat off and on the trailer by myself. as I have never done it before. and Yes I will double and triple check the bung lol. I am going to scope it out tonight and see if I can work it all out.

Cheers

Ben