Running Repairs

Jethro

I had a problem with my Minn Kota last weekend during the ABT comp. On closer inspection I found that 1 of the pins in the connector between the motor and the foot pedal had snapped off in the other side of the connector.

After a bit of cursing I thought how I am going to fix this as the only tools I had on board were pliers, screwdriver and a shifter.

I grabbed a brass jighead from the tackle box cut the head off and straightened the hook. I inserted the straight piece into where the pin had snapped off and put the connector back together and blow me down it worked.

I am pretty mechanically inept and was very happy with my running repair. It got me through to the end of the comp and its going away today to be repaired properly.

So what McGuiver type running repairs have you had to make on or off the water???

Geez ive got hundreds of these stories.

Heres a funny one,

When I was an apprentice mechanic a got dropped to a breakdown in the bush. Typical of my boss he would leave my in the middle of nowhere and the only way back was to fix the car and drive out.

Fault : split fuel line to the pump on an old HQ V8. Clamp was rooted and I didnt have one.

Ended up walking about a km through the bush to the fence of the property and cutting a piece of fence made from chicken wire out and using that to wire the hose in place. Funny day.

Guest Jewel

I have used a spear shaft to replace the key in a battery isolator when the little plastic key dropped into the bilge.

Mine isnt really a McGuiver type fix it, mine was just pure Dodginess. We were at the ramp and the bungs werent in the live bait tank where they are ALWAYS left, so i got some rubber and fill it gap filler and plugged it, this was about 5 months ago and we havent bothered with another bung since :biggrin2:

Mine isnt really a McGuiver type fix it, mine was just pure Dodginess. We were at the ramp and the bungs werent in the live bait tank where they are ALWAYS left, so i got some rubber and fill it gap filler and plugged it, this was about 5 months ago and we havent bothered with another bung since  :biggrin2:

43103[/snapback]

I broke a Shear Pin on my Minn Kota RT at Awoonga last year, first day of a three day Barra trip. No spare, and the old one was corroded in from chasing Bream in the Rust Water. Ended up using rock as a hammer and a 4/0 hook shank as a pin punch. Found that the wire handle on my 2 gallon bailing bucket was the same size as the shear pin. Got me back out there for the rest of the weekend.

Note: Always carry a spare Shear Pin, and regularly remove the old one and put some grease on it. Wouldn't want it to happen mid-comp.

Also found at the ABT Comp last week that my bow mount would only turn left, not right. Found this out a couple of minutes before the start, and everyone had fun disenurinating me about it. Neither the foot pedal or co-pilot would turn right. During a hissie fit, I promptly kicked the mongrel at the swivel housing. Percussive maintenance worked a treat and it hasn't played up since. Then the CD player crapped out and we couldn't get a fish with out George Thorogood serenading them. (Kicking didn't seem to help that!) Lucky I'd already bagged out.