Dollie Fishing

stylo

Joining a charter with some mates and just want to know where the dollie fads will be located.

Actually, don't need to know where they will be located, just how far out they are and whether I will be able to see land !!! Launching from Botany, I think.

I don't have very strong sea legs - however last time out on charter at Palm Beach Heads with 1-1.5 metre swells I was quite OK as I had some Kwells and felt quite OK for the whole trip.

The charter should provide gear, but obviously I want to test some of mine as well. What should I bring ? Bream rod and 4lb line ?? whahahahaha ! OK not funny - how about a 7'6" 6-8kg rod with 20lb braid and 20-30lb fluoro ?

Edited by stylo

botany fads are roughly 9.1-10k off shore, dunno if there are any dollies havnt seen many reports from that fad lately.

also try "travacalm" for sea sickness they work better than kwells for me personally but each person is differant just steer clear from travacalm natural, maybe bring some ginger beer along too :) that always helps.

6-8kg rod may be ok but id be going for stronger poundage on the line for dollies so far ive set up one rod with 65lb braid 80lb fluro trace ( incase somthing bigger is out there ) but i think you may get away with 20-30lb at the moment havnt seen reports of big 20kg+ dollies as of yet, but still fight hard.

i'd also give jigging a go up there too might get lucky :P

The distances to the Fads i think are 9 to 10 km and 16km as mentioned above. I think that rod should be fine for most of the dollies you may encounter and remember apart from the fad itself there is no structure out there for the fish to go around. I reckon the best sea sick tablets ive taken by far are ET's sea sick pills from BOVA chemist at Caringbah. I've tried kwells (they make me sleepy and dont work for me), I've tried travacalm and they are better than kwells but with funny side effects. ET's pills, for me are the most effective and have the most manageable side effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. We are good to go for this Saturday (fingers X'd that the weather holds up) and I can't wait. Any more tips ?

What are the essentials to bring ?

Spray jacket

Suncreen

Hat

Polarised sunnies

Nibblies, sangas, lots of water

Tempted to bring my DSLR camera but am afraid that it will go in the drink or get damaged .. maybe just a compact camera ey ?

All gear provided but I will take my 8kg raider with 20lb braid to test out.

I like to use my big bait runner with 30lb braid. Let the fish eat your livie reel well, spin the handle and its a hook up. Smaller fish will go down to my 3500 bait runner. Bigger baits will score bigger dollies.

Also like to use my biggest bait first for a wide slow troll around the fad looking for the biger fish or a beak, not using a bait runner for that.

I like to use my big bait runner with 30lb braid. Let the fish eat your livie reel well, spin the handle and its a hook up. Smaller fish will go down to my 3500 bait runner. Bigger baits will score bigger dollies.

Also like to use my biggest bait first for a wide slow troll around the fad looking for the biger fish or a beak, not using a bait runner for that.

Thanks mate - change in plan I will be taking a 7' 15kg rod with 20lb mono (non btr) and also the 20lb braid outfit.

Cheers, looking forward to Saturday.