Which Line To Use On My New Reel?

lsdjy3

I bought a new reel and its spool specs are 18bs - 215yds | 0.45mm - 195m. I am wondering which line to put on and it would be helpful if anyone can recommend me some decent and cheap line. I will be targetting smaller kings, tailors, salmons, etc. Thanks~

Hi isgjy3 I have some reels currently set up with 20lb braid and 25lb leader that average around 200 yds of 15lb mono and for these reels I generally use nippy 4-6 kilo rods that have good backbone. If I had a reel that takes 215yds of 18lb mono, which is close enough to the diameter of 80 lb braid, I would use 15-20 metres of 25-30lb mono backing, tie a half hitch at each side of the spool knot and fill the reel with 20-30lb braid which is around the diameter of approx 5-6lb mono. I have a bulk spool of 20lb spiderwire and calculate the total line length as close as I can get. If braid doesn't finish up two or three milimeteres short of the lip of the spool, the mono backing can always be longer and the length of backing can be shortened at the knot if there is an excess of braid left on the spool and replaced by a longer length of backing if the braid needs to be stripped back to the colour line.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer