Early Spinning On A Sunday Morning

steze

Headed out to Gerroa around 4:00am and got there well before sunrise. Weather was quite unpromising because around 6:30 am it started raining and it got a little bit windy but i figured im not going to waste a 2 hour drive so me and my old man just went down anyway. Thankfully the weather started to look a bit better with no more rain and very light winds. We started fishing with pilchards and ended up catching a couple of nice sambos within 20-30 mins. This time i actually remembered to bring along my lighter gear for spinning and ive never been successful spinning metal lures at this fishing location. So cast and retrieval for about half an hour i got nothing and my arms were starting to get sore. I decided to change spots and moved a bit further to the right to cast. About 20 metres from where i was standing i felt this really heavy hit on my line. I yanked it up and bam! It was a big Bonito, usually on my 12"ft rod its really easy to bring these up but this time im only using a 10Ft with a 7000 reel so the weight was so much heavier and the excitement is tripled. After that first bonito i managed to land around 5-6 more all around the same size. They weighed approximately 2kgs. In between i also caught alot of big sambos and all on lighter gear with a metal lure. I have to say once being successful for the first time on these lures, its addictive and i now understand when other fisho's say that the lighter gear makes everything a whole new experience. Also a question on the side, Im using a shimano spectrum 10Ft with a penn powerspin V7000. Is that a decent outfit to spin of the rocks?

o cant find blackhead on google maps can someone help me?

Blackhead.... Gerroa down past Kiama and before Nowra biggrin2.gif

post-256-126854276269_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

Your gear caught you plenty thumbup.gif I would say it is definately adequate.

Cheers Stewy

Only reason i ask is because i wasnt sure that i had the correct gear and i was deciding whether it is neccessary to purchase a new outfit just the purpose of spinning. I see alot of people using even lighter gear. But judgeing from the catches this morning i assume its all good.

thanks mate! its hella fun. Alot better then the pillies on the float. Im still chucking in the livies but still no kingies :(

Yea Steve spinning keeps you busy and saves having little fish wasting ya pilchards until its dark for Taloirs. Give it time a big kingie will hit the live yellowtail soon enough.

Maybe you should be spinning with your Spheros reel and put some Braid on it i think it would cast further and handle the fish a bit better but its up to you mate

that gear is fine for bonnies :P i also use a 12ft to spin for bonito while using a float as a popper and a lilplastic squid 2mtres down from the float, and swap between my 7.6ft nitro with a 4000 reel :) still land those bonnies with no probs :D much more fun on the lighter gear :D my 12" is only 6 - 10kg rod when i hook on a big bonny boy does it flex.

Great effort there champ.

Do you find the rocks at Blackhead dangerous at all?

I've had my gear washed away awhile ago fishing at Blackhead.

Ive been fishing there for a while so i have a fair idea of where not to stand etc. For example, you never fish the left side because even on low tide the waves just decimate that side of the rocks. In regards to gear being washed away, i tend to leave my gear a bit far from where i actually stand to fish where the water wont wash it away. Yes it does get wet sometimes but not enough to wash it away. It CAN be dangerous at times depending on the waves and swell. I never go out if there is southerly winds and if the winds are really strong. The surface itself isnt slippery and easy to walk on in contrast to avoca where there is algae and rock boots is a must. I see alot of locals wearing thongs.

On high tide esp during the night it can be difficult to get back out because the water floods the rocky area but if you have ur head lamps on it should be ok.

DGF ur exactly right on the flexing part, the bonito that i hooked onto felt monstrous as the rod bent down and it felt like it was going to break. But hell its so much FUN!! What type of metal lures are good to use, i usually buy the spanyo's from+_+_). Its got the thickness so i got a bit of weight to cast. I also found that the larger ones work better, i used the smaller one and only hooked onto baby bonnies.

Blackhead.... Gerroa down past Kiama and before Nowra biggrin2.gif

post-256-126854276269_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

Where abouts do you fish off there??

last time i was there the water level went over the rocks and made the point inaccessible? could only fish in closer to the green on the pic

Ive been fishing there for a while so i have a fair idea of where not to stand etc. For example, you never fish the left side because even on low tide the waves just decimate that side of the rocks.

Dont discount the left hand side of the rocks. On the right condition (small south swell ligh winds low tide etc) That is my favourite part of black head to fish and my most succesful. The spot is right out near the tip so that any waves that do come you are sheilded by the big tall rocks in front of you.

Definitely not an easy place to fish on high though. an as for the walk back on a high tideranting2.gif

Where abouts do you fish off there??

last time i was there the water level went over the rocks and made the point inaccessible? could only fish in closer to the green on the pic

At worst that ive been the water was up to my knees. Its only a short part that is covered. Once you walk past that part then its just dry rock. But yes it can be hard to fish on crap weather. But that place is going off at the moment. Oh btw Victor, I bottom fished there with the small crab. I think i hooked onto a Groper. Not exactly sure but the angle that my rod flexed, The tip of the rod bent down but it started to bend towards my belly so im guessing thats the part where it goes back into the rocks. But my line snapped within 4 seconds of retrieval. What is the most successful way to catch these damn things. ?

At worst that ive been the water was up to my knees. Its only a short part that is covered. Once you walk past that part then its just dry rock. But yes it can be hard to fish on crap weather. But that place is going off at the moment. Oh btw Victor, I bottom fished there with the small crab. I think i hooked onto a Groper. Not exactly sure but the angle that my rod flexed, The tip of the rod bent down but it started to bend towards my belly so im guessing thats the part where it goes back into the rocks. But my line snapped within 4 seconds of retrieval. What is the most successful way to catch these damn things. ?

Great spot down there used to fish blackhead most weekends inlaws had a caravan down there on 7 mile beach,

Once saw a bloke pull in 5 gropers in one session using small craps

hey steve,

u will need at least 50lb mono and locked drag. u cannot give them even 1 inch as they will snag you. i use a 13tf daiwa sensor suf rod, a daiwa BG90 with 80lb varivas gt braid and 100lb leader, joined by an FG knot. with this set up i've caught groper up to 20lb with no drama. mate if u want an intro to groper fishing just pm me, we can organise a trip. i'm always keen share

cheers

bertrand

hey steve,

u will need at least 50lb mono and locked drag. u cannot give them even 1 inch as they will snag you. i use a 13tf daiwa sensor suf rod, a daiwa BG90 with 80lb varivas gt braid and 100lb leader, joined by an FG knot. with this set up i've caught groper up to 20lb with no drama. mate if u want an intro to groper fishing just pm me, we can organise a trip. i'm always keen share

cheers

bertrand

Thanks Bertrand for the info, Im currently using 30lb mono and i guess after reading ur information theres a logical explanation why i get snagged so quick. And yes, I would be greatful to learn some tips on groper fishing. Victor from this forum also goes to blackhead. I went out there with him not too long ago and it was pretty awesome as well, another raider would be even merrier. Ive got alot of asessments in the next couple of weeks so i cant fish :( . But will definitely get in contact with you. I'll buzz you as well Vic when im coming out there again.

Hi Steve

Sorry for the late reply i been busy with some legal things going on.

By the sounds off it you hooked a groper they dont budge an inch thats why you need 50 pound line + to pull them out. there are plenty off groper down at Black Rock but winter time is the best time for them.

Give me a buzz the day before you head down to Black rock im always keen for a fish mate