Need Advice On Catching Squid

camb1988

Hey raiders. I decided on the weekend i would try to catch some live squid to use as bait to try tempt a king. As I'm a bit of a newbie I had no idea what to expect so got down to the spot we fish occasionally just before first light and gave it my best. We got a heap of chases and the squid would follow the squid jig the whole way to the rocks but just wouldnt touch it... :ranting2: ..... We ended up getting an octopus but the squid just wouldn't touch it. Any advice would be appreciated!!

When they do that following thing I find the best way to actually tempt them to actually attack the jig is to do quick sudden jerky movements. When the squid look like they're going to open up their arms to grab it, pull it fast (imitates an escaping prawn). This will hopefully make them more aggressive and grab it.

- Sometimes they do back off from this quick movement. Then you can try the slow retrieve, then stop and let it sink. Repeat.

- Another method is like soft-plasticing, which is let is sink then do very quick short lifts, and let it sink again. (I use this mostly to locate squid, basically covers all depths)

- When squid are on the surface and just floating around, I like to cast out far and do a quick surface retrieve (like poppering on the surface/walk the dog), and then stop it and let it sink when they turn to look at it.

Use these techniques or combine them together and hopefully it will get you your finicky squid.

Really informative Jewhunter

I'm going out next wednesday, so I'll definitely wet my squid jigs now....they're still in the packets....about 8 months

after buying them.

I've never tried, didn't know where to start really, so hopefully I may some luck.

If you find you're getting follows but not takers... like with any other kind of fishing... change something.

The first thing is the retrieve. Try speeding up, slowing down, flicking the rod tip, stopping... see if it makes a difference.

If that doesn't work, the next thing to do is drop down jig sizes, put on a lighter leader and try to get more stealthy.

Cheers, Slinky