Line Suggestions On A Medium Light Combo

camotec

Hey Guys,

I have an ugly stik with balance reel and love it but I want another rod for the boat. I bought a 2nd cheapy ($59.95) a Daiwa D-Shock 6' Medium Light rod which came with a D-Shock egg beater Reel which was pre-spooled with the crappiest line I have used lol.

My question is should I keep this rod and reel and just spool it with a better line or am I not going to be flogging a dead horse & be better with another light combo for say $100-150. (if so, any suggestions on model). or would I be better with a medium combo as the spinnerbaits I want to use seem to be over the recommended weight for this rod??

I just dont want to have to worry about the rod so I can get on with the actual fishing part lol :)

Keep mind this rod will be used in a boat solely and only for fish anywhere up to 5kg. Also recommendations on line types and brands for main line and leader would be good,

I mainly want to catch redfin, golden perch (apparently they taste like old train oil), brown/rainbow trout etc. I will mainly use my ugly stik for flathead and most saltwater excursions for the time being as I will replace everything with better stuff in about a year.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bez

Hey Guys,

I found out I was using the rod while the spool was not sitting on the bail correctly (If they are the right terms) I pulled it all apart and put it back together and now the d-shock although cheap it seems to be alot better quality then when I first started using it. However the line itself is still terrible.

So I guess I am really after a suggestion for the line now. mono or braid? and any suggestions on brand and color and the leader. currently using Berkley Vanish leader and it seems good but if someone thinks something else is better I want to know about it :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bez

i would go with 4lb or 6lb fireline [ cystal ] or 4or 6lb sunline .. you can go lower than that too

light lines catch more fish and can still get the bigger ones up mate. Seeing how your fishing freshwater 4lb would be perfect just change the leader size .. have fluro 4lb - 6lb - 10lb that would cover it just change the leader light/higher depending on whats happening.. If your in snag country use 10lb were bouts you could use 4/6lb in open water .. :)

Hi Bez,

If you are going to be doing a heap of casting at fish like bass and yellowbelly and the like ??? a better rod and reel set-up will serve you much better.

A mid range shimano or daiwa reel in the 2000-2500 size will be great and a rod in the 2 to 4kg class like a shimano t/curve or rack raider and spool it with 3kg braid or 6lb in the old class and a 8 to 10lb shock leader of what ever fluro carbon you prefer and that will catch all species you are after including bream,jews,flatties and all of the other fish you have mentioned.

Buying a good quality spin outfit will last you for years and will give you trouble free fishing.

I dont think you should go past Fireline in the 6lb in pink and you will only need a 125yd spool and add a mono backing to fill the spool to capacity.

Cheers Stewy

The Pflueger Trion 7ft 2-4kg is a beautiful rod for just $120. Theres also other rods like Drop shots, Raiders etc.As for reels a 1000/2500 Shimano Symetre which is $170. Matched up with the line like stewy said and you would be knocking over fish all the time. Make sure you go a light action 2-4kg stick so you can really cast out those light jig heads and lures. With the braid you feel everything.

Trust me mate it seems like alot of money but when you use it you can tell its good gear and it will serve you well and it will help you catch more fish :)

The Pflueger Trion 7ft 2-4kg is a beautiful rod for just $120. Theres also other rods like Drop shots, Raiders etc.As for reels a 1000/2500 Shimano Symetre which is $170. Matched up with the line like stewy said and you would be knocking over fish all the time. Make sure you go a light action 2-4kg stick so you can really cast out those light jig heads and lures. With the braid you feel everything.

Trust me mate it seems like alot of money but when you use it you can tell its good gear and it will serve you well and it will help you catch more fish :)

All good suggestions and information. Thank you. I will check them out for sure. I would like to be all setup before the PIRTEK comp in April as I am planning to go out with a couple of mates in the tinny to catch a few nice fish (hopefully).

PS: I just worked out what the 1000/2500 means lol, it helps when you read lol. I will look at 2000 size reels. I have a decent shakespere 2500 reel on my ugly stick which is very smooth and the antireverse stops the bail from spining back at all and it is a 4+1 ball bearing system thats "computer balanced", it actually does feel really good. compared to the Daiwa 2000 size reel on the D-Shock is not that good. and is nowhere near as smooth. I will wait a couple of months and buy some really nice rods. however in the meantime I will need to make do with new line 6lb fireline and vanish leader on both of my current rods/reels I think. The wife has spoken lol. mind you I did buy a boat last week. haha.

Edited by Bez

Ok I ended up getting 2 reels and another rod for the boat.

I got a light action AquaTip - I know its not as dear as one I should have gotten but I bought a Shimano Symetre in a 2000 reel for $149 and also a Shimano Sienna 1000 reel for the Aquatip. I then loaded both up with Fireline 6lb pink and Nitlon 8lb DFC for the leader.

I didn't want to get a graphite rod just yet because if my other mates who aren't really fishos yet have a go I just dont want to worry about it being damaged. if it is dropped or put down hard in the boat etc.

But either way I have to stop spending and start catching the fish so the wife can see the benefit. lol

Cheers

Ben