Another Report From Tuross

turossboatshed

post-12568-126890972973_thumb.jpgTuross is having some unbelievable action on Salmon and Taylor at the moment.

Young Alex and I went out yesterday to see what was happening in the lake, our one day away from the boatshed in the last fortnight. The morning started a little late with me sleeping in, but we still managed to get on the lake by about 8am, as we went toward the entrance I noticed that the birds were going frantic on the shallows opposite the boatramp. We went to investigate and found a large school of salmon going crazy on baitfish. A cast with a metal lure into the middle of the school produced a hook up and a 10 min battle for the first fish, Now young Alex is a real scull drag fisherman and I thought this is a great way for him to learn the ropes on playing a fish properly, we were only fishing light gear, 6lb braid with a 4 lb leader so no give on a 2kg Salmon if you try to get him in to quick. After loosing about 3 silver irons he started to realise that he had to hold his rod up and use its spring, set the drag to suit the line and play the fish. After about 3 hours I recon he had the knack.

Great lesson!

We must have caught 30 fish in the morning and my arms were killing me by the time we pulled into the deck at around lunch time, we kept 5 to put in the smoker and let the rest go.

Afer a rest at home we decided to go out again and fish the evening. We met young Tim from the boatshed and we both headed out in our boats to fish the opening. It was unbelevable action, Tim had four people in his boat and we had just the two, fishing side by side at the entrance, fish were everywhere, at one stage everybody was hooked up, there was a lot of ducking and turning, swaping and dodging but many fish were landed and released, UNBELIEVABLE!

I have not had so much fun in a long time, the guys fishing from the beach and rock were having just as much fun!

Reports from fishermen comming into the shop today is that from one tree point you can see black masses of fish at the entrance to the lake, so there must be other much larger fish following them as well!

Lots of fun.

Go Tuross! :thumbup:

John

Pos some photos soon and a video if I cn work out how.

seems I can only upload 1 photo, 100k limit in total?

Edited by turossboatshed

Great to hear the lake is firing up after the floods!! Salmon are always fun on light gear! Looking forward to more reports!

Re the pics - make them about 100kb in size & then hit 'choose file' (then pick one at a time or try the multiple loader.) then hit 'attach this file' & a minute later, it will appear as either the picture name or the image number, with 'add to post' or 'delete' .......... hit the return key to put the pic on a new line & hit 'add to post'!! Sweet as!

Cheers

Roberta

Monday was a crackin' morning, wasn't it? Dene and I were harrassing them with our 2-4kg rods, 4lb braid/10lb leader, and 4" plastics :thumbup: Biggest landed was high 70's. Kept three to feed Deno's dog and released the rest.

Hit the beach Monday afternoon with 7'6" 5-8kg rods, 4000-size reels, 20lb braid and 30lb mono and 65gram metal slices. Found more salmon and some very good tailor (mid 60's to mid 70's). We had a similar beach session the day before, including a really enjoyable tussle with a frigate mackerel! B)

Cheers

Skip

That sounds like a whole heap of fun! :thumbup:

Fast fish on light tackle on just about every cast. Great stuff.

What a top way for the young fella to learn how to fight a fish. He'll be an expert after a session like that.

It sounds like the big fresh has done the lake the world of good. There must be a huge amount of bait in there atm.

Cheers,

Grant.