Perfect Weather But Challenging Fishing

On Saturday I went out to the Georges River and Woolooware Bay without Bassboy888 (he is busy studying) with a view to trying for Jewies with SPs in the Georges during the last hour of darkness before heading to the Woolooware Bay oyster racks. Things didn't go as planned, as I spent too much time in the Georges chasing the elusive Jew and arriving in Woolooware Bay about an hour later than anticipated. This mistake was reinforced by Mako's excellent report regarding his success on the Bream in Woolooware Bay frm early Saturday.

I did not catch a jewie, although I did hook a decent fish just on first light at my jewie location (near Como). It looked promising with a couple of large arches and bait showing up on the sounder. I was casting a 100mm soft belly into shallow water and retrieving it over a steep 18ft dropoff into a 25ft hole. On my third cast and as the SP commenced its free fall down the drop off felt a bump and then a very heavy weight...I immediately set the hook and the fish started a powerfull run in to deeper water. I fought the fish for about 1 minute before a powerfull surge back towards the rocky ledge and snap :ranting2: Unfortunately my finese approach with 10lb leader failed to stop the large fish and I suspect (by the wear on the leader) that the leader touched a rock early in the fight. After the loss of this fish I probably persisted too long in the hole for a couple missed bumps and two flatties (1 x 40cm and 1 x 43cm - sorry no photos).

Once the incoming tide started to really surge into the Georges River I decided to move to Woolooware Bay.

When I arrived at the oyster racks in the Bay the water was higher than I wanted, however I observed some bream taking small bait near the surface. Out goes my stick bait and immediate strikes :biggrin2: with a couple of bream fighting over the lure...however no hookups. I persisted with a couple of more casts to hook this decent bream:

post-12960-126915765978_thumb.jpg

This was to be the largest of the next five bream taken from the racks.....lots of missed strikes between hookups. Unfortunately, with the tide higher and the water quality clearing the bream bite stopped at about 11:00am. I switched to the trusty MF40 for a couple of 40cm flatties before having to go home.

It was a beautiful day out there and I regret not heading straight out to Woolooware Bay.

Nice report B/C.

I bet you wouldn't have regreted not going there earlier if things held together on the fish that rubbed you off!

I've driven away from fish too find nothing toooo many times so well done on sticking it out in the 1st spot.

That Jew is only 1 cast away! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

You had an eventful day! That lost jew sounded like a good fish. I'm keen to give WB another go while this good weather is with us.

Jenno64 - I may see you in WB next weekend....the Jewies can wait until after the bream bite finishes.

Great report Basscatcher.

Unlucky about the lost fish in the river

but you still got some nice bream and flatties.

The surface bite was better in the morning

but the bream were still hitting HBs as the day went on.

It was a really nice day to be out on the water.

Sorry to hear of your missed Jew strike. Can't blame yourself for hanging around too long at the spot to see if you could get another strike. I know I would have. At least your were out there fishing ...