Harbour Blackfish

rickster

Seems the harbour blackfishing is getting its popularity back. I went out with mate Steve on saturday up around Hunters Hill area, tried 3 spots, fairly slow, only managed 11 fish in about 5 hours.

Headed out for a couple of hours again sunday, Abbotsford on the run-up should be ideal. Water was a bit low and discoloured when i got there about 9.00am but thought it will improve as the tide rises. Wasn't looking too good, didn't look like getting a down then finally found one, smallish around 450gm. Next drift another, much nicer fish. Quite again for about 20 minutes then bang, another fish better than the last one. Starting to look promising. Next drift, down again and on. This thing took off straight out and at a rate of knots, first thought was this is no luderick, guess at a bream. As i was playing it a getting it back to somewhere near the shore I felt something give. I always use two traces and assumed that both hooks were in him and one just busted. Fish continued longish runs straight out but when I finally got him in close and up on near the top, the first thing I saw was TAIL. Thought the line must be wrapped around him but when i finally netted him (with the help of a spectator), the busted trace was hanging out of his mouth and my other size 8 sneck was firmly embedded in his tail. Biggest of the morning, probably just over a kilo. Fish definetely don't like coming in backwards and one of the best fights that I've had. That was it, fished another hour, conditions got better but fish had disappeared. Again there's always next week.

post-11436-1269208964_thumb.jpg

Some nice looking fish there Rickster - well done mate. Gotta love foul hooking fish...they always fight above their weight hey? Lucky you had that second trace on!!

Should be heading down that way to give em a tickle up later this week, there seem to be some nice fish around at the moment.

Cheers,

Smitty...