Fishing Cairns

busted

Heading up to cairns for work on the 7th-18th of April and will be staying only a 20-30m from the beach, as i haven't been there before i was hoping u guys could help us out with any local knowledge

primarily will be doing land based fishing after work and on w/ends and am hoping to get out on at least one charter whilst up there.

i don't really know anything about beach fishing so any tips would be a great help, i also plan to tackle the estuary system so any tips on lure types would be great

much appreciated

Been to Cairns a few times but mainly as a starting point on fishing trips.

The "beach" in Cains is more of a mudflat at any part of the lower tide.....

It will be more better to discribe the fishing as more estury fishing than beach.

What I saw around the local area the rock walls around the river mouth and marina area look pretty good and theres always stacks of baitfish hanging around them.

One trip to Cape york we stayed at the Shangri La out on the Peir. We had half a day to kill so we pulled out a couple of rods and a handful of lures and spun the walls for bream and small finger mark with a few little trevallys thrown in. Great way to spend an arvo.

One thing I have always wanted to do was to chase the Jungle Perch(similar to bass but so much better)up towards Port Douglas. I saw heaps one day walking the trails in the Daine Tree, such pretty little fishes that should smash little surface lures.

Good luck

Greg