How To Install Cd/radio And Livie Tank.

TheDon

Hi fishraiders,

I recently bought my first boat, a Quintrex 4.75m runabout and I'd like to add a few things. I'd like to have some music on the boat. I can buy a radio/cd player with marine speakers for $150, but I got one quote from a guy who wants $270 to install it for me.

I'm new to boating to am a bit inexperienced. Is this something that I would be able to install myself, or should I just employ a professional?

I'd also like to put in a live bait tank with pump and possibly upgrade the old fishfinder which is on the boat to a new gps/fishfinder combo.

Would it be difficult to install these myself or is there someone that you would recommended to do it for me.

Another question, if I'm running all these things should I have a 2nd battery or can I just run it off the same battery that powers the rest of the boat?

Your help is appreciated

Thanks

TheDon.

mate they are all easy to install if u know postive from negative and can crimp some wires....

radio needs wire to the battery and an earth plus speaker wires and that aint worth $270

bait tank pump is just as easy but will need to go via a switch - still pretty easy.

fishfinder power wires are easy but need to be accurate on where u mount the transducer.

i use a second battery but i fish at night alot so the engine isnt running to charge batt but u should be fine with one.

search previous posts for more information. there is alot.

I'd leave it to the experts personally, i got a professional to do all the work on my boat, and its a good feeling knowing that wires aren't going to short out and set the boat alight when im out there.

You can get away with running one really good battery, but i installed a dual battery set up in mine and would reconmend it to everyone. How many times i've seen and heard of someone getting towed back all because they had a flat battery.

Where are you based mate?

Based in the eastern suburbs, near Bondi Junction.

Not sure what to do. One member says do it yourself and the other says pay the professionals.

By the way $270 was just for the radio, although that included the housing for the unit which he said was $70. I haven't even got a quote for the other things. I'm a bit more worried about installing the livie tank because that may require drilling holes in the boat.

Not sure what to do. One member says do it yourself and the other says pay the professionals.

By the way $270 was just for the radio, although that included the housing for the unit which he said was $70. I haven't even got a quote for the other things. I'm a bit more worried about installing the livie tank because that may require drilling holes in the boat.

Nothing hard about it all,. just because someone calls themselves a pro at installing stuff means nothing, just follow the directions that come with most equipment and you should be sweet, also try use solder on all joints instead of just crimping, also get some heat shrink over all joins, just look where wires are running and make sure that they cant rub or get cut on sharp edges of boat.

i think the radio install is very easy and any radio would come with wiring diagrams etc. if you have some ability then it really isnt a difficult task. for mine, i bought a separate twin core wire which i connect directly to the battery in accordance with the engine wires etc. i have a 20amp in line fuse installed in this line near the battery and lead the wires to a set of terminal blocks, one for neg and one for pos. from there i have a positive and negative set of terminals available from which i can connect the radio and other electrics such as a 12v sourch thereto. i also add a 5 amp fuse link from the radio the the terminal block for extra insurance. i am by no means an electronics whiz but from what i has seen from car audio installers, my 5yr old could do a comparative job for 5 bucks!! do a bit of homework and spend the $270 on a holiday.

Edited by bisso

Guest Aussie007

$120 is piece of mind knowing the installation is professionally done all wires hidden and solid connections if your lazy or not up to it get the auto electrician to do it if u think you can do a good and tidy job or your low on cash do it your self as for the live bait tank u can do one your self again if your on a budget or think u can do a better job heres one i done on my old half cabin all parts were brought from the local garden store,bias boating warehouse,online shop the thicker hose is connected to the pump that is bolted to the transom on the outside the smaller hose is connected to the water pickup the tank was 60L or 65L

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Just get a good soldering iron, do all the connections with a decent solder and then cover them with some decent heatshrink wrap. Ive done all the wiring in my boat and havent had a short or any drama yet.

If i wasnt in Canberra mondays to fridays id come and do it for you, and for payment you could teach me to fish!!! LOL No seriously, i stink at fishing!