Using Ballons As Floats

Victor78

Hi All

I do a fair bit of LBG and for the last few years i been using a big bobby cork as a float to drift my live Bonitos out which seem to work great but the problem i have lately is that boats trolling along the rocks cant see my bobby cork and head straight towards my line which is a 100 to 200m out from the rocks and it ends up in a yelling match and a Fisty cuff discussion at the boat ramp later in the day.

I used to use a ballon attached to a free sliding ezy rig which was stopped by the uni knot where my trace and line tied togther. The problem i used to have with this rig set up was that the ballon and the main line used to twist and wrap around each causing a big knot which on a hook up on a fish used to snap on me.

My question is that i wanna know how to set up a Ballon as a float for LBG so boats can clearly see where my live bait is but with out getting tangles and twists from a ballon wrapping around my main line?????

And also why do Jockeys in there boats come so close to the rocks for???? There is a big ocean out there with plenty of room in it and ive only got a tiny fraction of an area to fish in

Hi All

I do a fair bit of LBG and for the last few years i been using a big bobby cork as a float to drift my live Bonitos out which seem to work great but the problem i have lately is that boats trolling along the rocks cant see my bobby cork and head straight towards my line which is a 100 to 200m out from the rocks and it ends up in a yelling match and a Fisty cuff discussion at the boat ramp later in the day.

I used to use a ballon attached to a free sliding ezy rig which was stopped by the uni knot where my trace and line tied togther. The problem i used to have with this rig set up was that the ballon and the main line used to twist and wrap around each causing a big knot which on a hook up on a fish used to snap on me.

My question is that i wanna know how to set up a Ballon as a float for LBG so boats can clearly see where my live bait is but with out getting tangles and twists from a ballon wrapping around my main line?????

And also why do Jockeys in there boats come so close to the rocks for???? There is a big ocean out there with plenty of room in it and ive only got a tiny fraction of an area to fish in

What i do when running a balloon is to run the ezy rig but take the metal off it. I tie it on to the ezy rig with as short a leader of mono as possible. if you can keep it to 5mm thats the best but up to 3-4cm is ok. This should work ok.

Nahh.... Dont need to use an ezy rig.

I like simple rigs. So you can either use a rubber band or tie the balloon directly to the mainline with a loop.

To tie with a rubber band (either a number 14 or 16) pinch it to the line, and wrap the loose end around the mainline at least 10 times, then thread the loose end back through the loop being held by your thumb and forefinger.

Pull it gently so it all locks into place, and then use this loose end to tie above the knot you've tied in the inflated balloon.

Its important to do at least 10 wraps so the elastic band is tight and doesn't slip on the mainline when in the water.

The light gauge band is also important so the balloon can break away.

Or even simpler you could make a loop in your line and then tie the balloon around the loop, when a fish comes the loop straightens out and the balloon is free.

Al McGlashan shows how to do one of these (cant remember which) in his live baiting video.

Either way works really well for me. I prefer the rubber band when the sea is a bit rough or the bait is pretty big. And the loop with smaller bait/ smoother seas.

Hope this helps

Evets

Mate people in boats come near the rocks because thats often where the fish will be. Many boats troll lures along the headlands for this reason. Very few boats would expect a rock fishermans line to be 200m out from the rocks and if its this far from you it would be easy for the boatie not to see your float. I'm sure its frustrating but wouldnt take it personally mate.

Mate people in boats come near the rocks because thats often where the fish will be. Many boats troll lures along the headlands for this reason. Very few boats would expect a rock fishermans line to be 200m out from the rocks and if its this far from you it would be easy for the boatie not to see your float. I'm sure its frustrating but wouldnt take it personally mate.

Hi Dezmo

Your right Dezmo boats cant see my bobby cork i was very peed off yesterday cause i lost over 200m of line getting busted off by a boat. Not ALL BOAT ANGLERS are that bad most ppl on boats do move out the way after some waving and pointing out where my float is. This is the reason why i wanna go back to using a balloon as a float as it is very visable to see from a distance away.

Boat anglers try to fish as close as they can to the rocks and rock anglers try to get as far away as possible it will be a never ending battle but with a little coperation which each other we can all fish in peace and catch BIG fish

Hi Dezmo

Your right Dezmo boats cant see my bobby cork i was very peed off yesterday cause i lost over 200m of line getting busted off by a boat. Not ALL BOAT ANGLERS are that bad most ppl on boats do move out the way after some waving and pointing out where my float is. This is the reason why i wanna go back to using a balloon as a float as it is very visable to see from a distance away.

Boat anglers try to fish as close as they can to the rocks and rock anglers try to get as far away as possible it will be a never ending battle but with a little coperation which each other we can all fish in peace and catch BIG fish

I have witnessed people look at us waving, look at the balloon and then drive right over our belly!

I had more written but decided that i better not continue with this rant in a public forum. However if you see me and still drive over my belly i will be offended by your behaviour.

Enough said on the topic from me, i have heaps of stories to tell if you ask me on the stones.

If you bring cold beer i have even more stories :)

I searched for a solution a few years back and one I found works pretty well. It is disposeable since I can't find Stainless Alligator clips so they will rust out. I use it in the boat but it will work off rocks which is where it was used in the forum I found. In Western Aus' it was used to fish high cliffs for big kings but I can't find the site again.

Go to Dick Smith / Tandy and purchase some cheapo electrical Alligator clips. Put a short piece of PVC Tubing (fishtank pump style) on each side of the jaws. This will protect your line. Drill a little hole in the finger pad end and attach a snap with a small split ring. At your fishing site attach balloon to clip with a small cable tie. The snap is placed over the line which runs free and is then clamped in the PVC lined jaws of the clip. It is like a small outrigger / downrigger release clip. A hit will release the line but the whole thing remains freely attached and running along your main line. You don't leave balloons floating out to sea. I use "metallic" coloured helium balloons.

The beauty of this device in a boat is that you can put the balloon at whatever depth you want. Drop your bait over and let out required line then attach the balloon rig. I will draw a pic and scan it to show construction.

As for boats running over your belly, I bet they're not happy about having 100m or so of line wrapped around their prop shaft.