Help With Trolling Speed

Hi guys wondering if any one can give me an idea of a good trolling speed for kings and other pelegics, i have a small assortment of christmas trees and skirts some poppers up to 6 inch i am new to the salt seen and can use all the help i can muster

thanks regards warnie

Hi Warnie 100.......A good speed is about 5 knots,but 7 to 9 knots is ok for xmas trees& skirted lures. Dont run them to far back,25 metres at the most. Remember your biggest lure is the boat!!! Get yourself some deep diveing lures, the CD 10 or 12 Rapala in pilchard colours are very good, so is the Halco Laser Pro. The new Pakula "mini uzi" skirted lures are absolutely brilliant!!! Try to troll as close to the rocks as you can, concentrateing on the "wash zone'. Just be very careful and have confidence in your boat & motor. Tight lines.

G'day Warnie 100,

Set your trolling speed based on the lures and how they're swimming as much as the species. hotbite's on the money with his advice but think about what your lure is doing. If you run a pusher style skirt, like a jet head or pakula Uzi, you want it to be occasionally popping and leaving a good bubble trail... too slow and it won't do it. A lot of bibbed lures need to be run at a speed that gets them working well but too fast and they'll blow out of the water... a Rapala Magnum or X-Rap will troll faster than a lot of others, smaller lures won't handle speed as well as bigger models, etc.

The mood of the fish and water conditions also make a difference. Start out at say 5 knots and then adjust up or down depending on all the other variables.

Cheers, Slinky

Your skirted lures should be surfacing about every 5-10 seconds 6.5 - 7.0 knots, as the other lads have said just watch you gear and look at what is doing.

Dave

thanks guys i will do sounds almost the same as fresh only a bit faster thanks again and tight lines warnie