Epirb Laws

Floating_Medic

Hi folks,

I have recently made the decision that im going to start taking my boat offshore when conditions permit again (ie 12 mile in my 17 foot half cab with 130hp out back) but my ideas have since been deflated as i have only just found out that i need an epirb to go out there. 2 years ago when i first got my boat i went out to the fads twice without an epirb and was damn sure i didnt need one as my boat was under 7 metres in length.

So, since when did the law change that every boat that go's 2nm offshore needs an epirb?

Cheers, Alan.

Alan. If your not already aware , it would be worth checking through this list to ensure all items are covered

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safetyequip_tables.html

In respect to fire extinguishers they need to be checked & a tag stamped every 6 months. If the extinguisher is older than 5 years , it's cheaper to replace it with a new one than having the unit striped down & pressure tested

Maritime are also checking nav lights , especially anchor lights. The current rules state ,

** 360 degree display. This means 360 degree above the higest point on the boat , eg canopy / bimini / cabbin etc. Not the deck or gunnal

** Light not to be less than 1 mt above the port / starboard light

** The light to display for a distance of not less than 2 miles. To acheive that , LED are recomended

Geoff

Alan. If your not already aware , it would be worth checking through this list to ensure all items are covered

In respect to fire extinguishers they need to be checked & a tag stamped every 6 months. If the extinguisher is older than 5 years , it's cheaper to replace it with a new one than having the unit striped down & pressure tested

Maritime are also checking nav lights , especially anchor lights. The current rules state ,

** 360 degree display. This means 360 degree above the higest point on the boat , eg canopy / bimini / cabbin etc. Not the deck or gunnal

** The light to display for a distance of not less than 2 miles. To acheive that , LED are recomended

Geoff

Hi Geoff, does this mean that we have to have an additional light to the stern light that towers over everything else?

Rgds

Dhutchy

Hi Geoff, does this mean that we have to have an additional light to the stern light that towers over everything else?

Rgds

Dhutchy

As I understand the rules , yes , which is a bit of a pain if the light is down the back & you want to fish at night , especially with the canopy up which would require additional stem height

I've just installed a light on top of the rochet launcher on my boat & one on top of the consol screen for Byron.

If coming off the gunnwal , the issuue is , finding ones with a long enough stem.

The other thing is , even if not planning to be out after dark , Maritime are checking lights during daylight hours not just at night

Geoff

Geoff

So who do i have to pay to have my extinguisher checked every 6 months? What a farce! I use my boat about 20 times a year and i now have to pay to have someone tell me that my F/E is working when i can plainly see the little guage that tells me it is??

So who do i have to pay to have my extinguisher checked every 6 months? What a farce! I use my boat about 20 times a year and i now have to pay to have someone tell me that my F/E is working when i can plainly see the little guage that tells me it is??

I took mine to Chubb at Silverwater. They quoted me $12.00 on the phone but when I arrived it was no charge.

There is also a place at Condell Park.

If these are not convenient then perhaps check the yellow pages under fire extinguishers or fire equipment

Geoff

I took mine to Chubb at Silverwater. They quoted me $12.00 on the phone but when I arrived it was no charge.

There is also a place at Condell Park.

If these are not convenient then perhaps check the yellow pages under fire extinguishers or fire equipment

Geoff

Hi Raiders,

Just a quick note on the fire extinguisher topic, it is a good idea to get the extinguisher out every month or so and give it a few taps with a rubber mallet (while turning it upside down and all around) or the like until you can feel the powder move freely inside. What happens is the powder in the extinguisher settle's and compacts over time with the vibration of the boat during travel so when you attempt to activate the extinguisher it won't operate as effectively. I have previously worked in the extinguisher industry and this is common practice with all dry powder extinguishers from 1kg through to 9kg units during the six monthly and 12 monthly inspections.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Matt

Edited by MPS

Hi folks,

I have recently made the decision that im going to start taking my boat offshore when conditions permit again (ie 12 mile in my 17 foot half cab with 130hp out back) but my ideas have since been deflated as i have only just found out that i need an epirb to go out there. 2 years ago when i first got my boat i went out to the fads twice without an epirb and was damn sure i didnt need one as my boat was under 7 metres in length.

So, since when did the law change that every boat that go's 2nm offshore needs an epirb?

Cheers, Alan.

You are right Alan the law did change about 2 to 3 years ago. A boat of under 8 mts did not need one, but I think the right dissision was made that all boats need one when thinking about safety

Cheers Silvo