First Time Using Poppers

steze

I went to east hills on good friday to test out my new rod and lures. Learn't some techiques on youtube and i tried it out but didnt get any results. I tried again today just at lansvale and didnt work out either. Still alot of learning to do as ive also purchased a blade but dont really know how to use it either. Does anybody know of any decent spots around sydney that poppers will actually work? Im fishing landbased as i dont own a boat. Even if the chances are rare but there is fish then im willing to go there and try it out because im still keen on practicing and investing in more lures. Any sort of information and a heads up on specfic lures for that area etc would be fantastic.

Hi Steven

Check out Hodgey's 'how to' guide

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=28395

Put a post up in the ''Adopt a Learner'' & someone who lives close to you may be able to get out with you & give you some clues.

Big Tip: Go into your profile & add the suburb that you live in - then people know where you live!

Nothing better than fishing with someone who does it better than you! Some of it must rub off!!

Good luck

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Steven

Check out Hodgey's 'how to' guide

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=28395

Put a post up in the ''Adopt a Learner'' & someone who lives close to you may be able to get out with you & give you some clues.

Big Tip: Go into your profile & add the suburb that you live in - then people know where you live!

Nothing better than fishing with someone who does it better than you! Some of it must rub off!!

Good luck

Roberta

thanks Roberta for the info. I previously read Hodgey's "how to " post and used the exact same technique. Thats pretty much where i learn't how to use poppers as i read that post before i purchased the lures. I will put a post up in the " adopt a learner" when all my uni assignments are finished. Thanks again

The poppering season is coming to a close now so that could also be a reason you have had no success

Befor you try using blades i suggest that you use plastics first to get the hang of them then move onto the blades after your more comfortable, being land based more likely than not you will loose it on a snag but using the plastics are more reliable in that sense and better value for money when if you consider the price of a jig head and plastic around $2 compared to 10-20$ for a blade

As for plastics to use.....

I would but 3 packs....

1. berkley 3inch minnow in watermelon pearl

2. squidgy 80mm wriggler in bloodworm

3. any of the natural looking squidgy fish profiles

That will cover most estuary fish and retrieve styles.

Also selection of jig heads to suit

Hope that might help

Pete

Edited by Breambucket

Hi Steze, try any estury where there are sandflats, fish your popper over the flats with a metre or less of water, you should find some Whiting if you use a constant fast retrieve, do not pause if you are after Whiting. I agree with Breambucket the season is ending, I fished my favourite flats yesterday and caught zip for the first time in about 6 sessions. I am addicted to poppering for Whiting, I must admit to having little luck on other species (except EPs, different place, time & retrieve)but I think the rapid retrieve is not attractive to Bream etc. At first I thought light colours and translucent lures were the go but now I'm finding any colour will work its the fast, steady, rythmic retrieve that seems to nail them.

Where I fish I wade out to about knee deep water and cast into deeper water, if it is overcast with a slight to medium breeze so much the better. If you see any prawns or small fish skipping on the surface, or if you see or hear any fish breaking the surface (except leaping Mullet) cast towards or preferably beyond that spot and retrieve back. Persevere, it took me a while and I'm no expert, but I'm finding I'm consistently catching Whiting on poppers now. Another tip, squash down the barbs on your hooks, it doesnt affect the hook up rate but it makes taking under size fish or fish you intend to release off much easier, also if its Whiting your after take any feathers that may be on the lure off this seemed to increase my catch rate.

Hope some of this helps, Langa

hi steze,i fish the georges around lansvale quite a bit landbased.we havnt had much luck with poppers[geuss we havnt used em enough]but have consistant results using plastics fished close to the bottom.you do get snagged up a blt,but if you arent getting snagged occassionlly your not in 'THE STRIKE ZONE'.i agree with what breambucket said,its alot less painful when you loose a plastic.the plastics he mentioned have worked for us,but also the gulp 2in shrimps have been producing along with the gulp 3in swimming mullets.i got my pb jew of 93cm in the lansvale area on the 3in mullet.try using plastics around there,you should get some bream & flathead using a double or triple hop along the bottom.bream prefer a more subtle retrieve than flathead IMO.if you want some company fish these local waters,give me a pm,il be happy to show you some techniques fishing landbased.im no expert but i know that area pretty well.

cheeers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

hi steze,i fish the georges around lansvale quite a bit landbased.we havnt had much luck with poppers[geuss we havnt used em enough]but have consistant results using plastics fished close to the bottom.you do get snagged up a blt,but if you arent getting snagged occassionlly your not in 'THE STRIKE ZONE'.i agree with what breambucket said,its alot less painful when you loose a plastic.the plastics he mentioned have worked for us,but also the gulp 2in shrimps have been producing along with the gulp 3in swimming mullets.i got my pb jew of 93cm in the lansvale area on the 3in mullet.try using plastics around there,you should get some bream & flathead using a double or triple hop along the bottom.bream prefer a more subtle retrieve than flathead IMO.if you want some company fish these local waters,give me a pm,il be happy to show you some techniques fishing landbased.im no expert but i know that area pretty well.

cheeers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Check your pm johhny